Staff member
Local time
3:56 AM
Cream Cheese Chocolate Truffles
Makes 25-30 truffles

Ingredients
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (milk chocolate will work as well; I used a mix of the two)
3/4 tsp orange liqueur (I used Grand Marnier; sub in an equal amount of vanilla extract if you prefer)
1/2 cup crushed walnuts or hazelnuts
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions
Add the cream cheese to a medium bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer on low-to-medium speed until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
On low speed, slowly add in the confectioners' sugar, then increase the speed to medium (if necessary) and beat until smooth, 3-5 minutes.
Add in the melted chocolate and vanilla and mix everything is incorporated, then cover and refrigerate truffle mix 1 hour.
Place coca powder in a small bowl or shallow pan. Place confectioners’ sugar in a second small bowl or shallow pan. Place nuts in a small prep bowl.
Working with roughly 1 teaspoon of the truffle mixture at a time, roll into 1-inch balls with your hands. Don't try to make them perfectly round, go for a slightly rough shape. Set each truffle aside until you've rolled all the mixture into balls.
Place three or four truffles in the cocoa powder and roll around to cover, then tap them gently on the bowl/pan edge to knock off any excess. Do the same for the confectioners’ sugar coating. For the nut coating, simply gently press a small amount of nuts into the surface of each truffle, using the palms of your hands.

Recipe based on Cream Cheese Chocolate Truffles at NatashasKitchen.com

What is the difference between confectioners sugar and powdered sugar?

I thought confectioners sugar was what we call icing sugar but powdered sugar sounds more like that.

Great sounding recipe!
Powdered Sugar

Powdered sugar, also called confectioners' sugar and icing sugar is a finely ground sugar produced by milling granulated sugar into a powdered state. It usually contains between 2% and 5% of an anti-caking agent – such as corn starch, potato starch or tricalcium phosphate[1][2] – to absorb moisture, prevent clumping, and improve flow. Although most often produced in a factory, a proxy for powdered sugar can be made by processing ordinary granulated sugar in a coffee grinder, or by crushing it by hand in a mortar and pestle.

Powdered Sugar

Powdered sugar, also called confectioners' sugar and icing sugar is a finely ground sugar produced by milling granulated sugar into a powdered state. It usually contains between 2% and 5% of an anti-caking agent – such as corn starch, potato starch or tricalcium phosphate[1][2] – to absorb moisture, prevent clumping, and improve flow. Although most often produced in a factory, a proxy for powdered sugar can be made by processing ordinary granulated sugar in a coffee grinder, or by crushing it by hand in a mortar and pestle.
Some people also call it 10X.

So TastyReuben just checking you are using the same sugar in the recipe and for coating but just called it different things in the recipe?
Yes, that was my mistake, as the ingredients list came from the recipe website, but the directions are the creation of my own tortured mind. FTR, powdered sugar and confectioners’ sugar are synonymous.

I’ll trot up there and fix it posthaste.

This recipe reminds me of a much simpler recipe I got from the Highlights kid's magazine my parents subscribed to for me as a child. That would have been over 50 years ago. The confection produced was called Daisy's Divinity, referencing Daisy Duck, Donald Duck's girlfriend.

It was just cream cheese, 10X sugar, vanilla, a tiny pinch of salt, and finely chopped pecans. I made it, DD made it, and DGDs have made it. Sweet as heck, but kids love it, even adults in small amounts.

ETA: I googled Daisy's Divinity just for the heck of it and, surprise, I had posted the recipe.

Retro Recipe - Daisy Duck's Divinity

Last edited:
Powdered Sugar

Yes I remember when tate and lyle changed their anti-caking agent from tricalcium phosphate to maize.
It caused 'The Sugar Scandal'
Expert cake decorators wanted to know why the icing sugar was now grainier and not good for intricate designs.

Tate and Lyle stuck to their guns and said it makes no difference at all.
The wedding cake makers said it really does, we want the old icing sugar back.

But they have a monopoly on icing sugar so could afford to p*ss everyone off because there's no real alternative. If there had of been the tiny increase in profit they see from increasing the shelf life would have disappeared with their sales.

It caused quite a stir!

Back
Top Bottom