Mushrooms

How do you clean mushrooms?

• Total voters
“That ‘dirt’ you see on mushrooms purchased at the grocery store is actually growing medium—not soil,” explains Josh. “The growing medium is inoculated and ‘cooked’ to kill mold and bacteria so it is not unsafe.”
I still don’t want to eat it! :laugh:

Mushrooms here are pretty cheap, but mushroom aficionados would probably find the everyday supermarket’s selection rather pedestrian - white ones, brown ones, portabella, shiitake, and a pre-sliced mix of “gourmet” mushrooms (all of those mixed together) is about it. For someone like me, I think they should whittle that down a bit and stock something else I’d prefer to eat! :laugh:

Anything beyond that, and it’s off to the gourmet shop, where instead of $2/pound, they’re more like $10/pound (I think…I haven’t bought any for ages).

this is Wegman's - Hunt Valleye MD.
off to the right was a wide selection of truffles . . . under lock&key . . .
Wegman_shrooms.JPG

Mushrooms here are pretty cheap, but mushroom aficionados would probably find the everyday supermarket’s selection rather pedestrian - white ones, brown ones, portabella, shiitake, and a pre-sliced mix of “gourmet” mushrooms (all of those mixed together) is about it. For someone like me, I think they should whittle that down a bit and stock something else I’d prefer to eat! :laugh:

Anything beyond that, and it’s off to the gourmet shop, where instead of $2/pound, they’re more like $10/pound (I think…I haven’t bought any for ages).
Asian markets have a wide selection of mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom