Plans for today (2024)

Very short ride (hopefully) to next stop in Ávila.
Mr SSOAP's turn to lead today and he's using his new Garmin so that will be a laugh 🤭
We renamed it to the "Garmin magical mystery tour"

Last edited:
My plans for yesterday were to go in to the office, work, and come home, but those got upended on Wednesday evening. I was at the barn, and just about to leave, when I remembered I should top-up horsey’s water bucket. He had enough to last through the night, but I figured he’d appreciate the extra.

As I went to fill it, I had to step over a dead baby bird on the ground. Ew! As I filled his bucket, I glanced over at the bird, and noticed it moving - turns out it wasn’t dead after all. I thought about leaving it, but figured I should try my best to give it a fighting chance, so I picked it up, put it in a cardboard box, drove to the nearest gas station, and started calling wildlife rehabbers.
IMG_9217.jpeg

Of course, all the wildlife rehabbers were closed. So I drove home with the bird (which was moving around far more than I would have expected!), and did what all the websites say to do: put it in a slightly larger box with a towel, and put a heated pad under the box to keep it warm. I then locked it in my bathroom so the cats couldn’t get at it. I even stayed up way too late to make sure it got enough warmth (our heat pad turns off automatically after a certain period of time).

Amazingly, it survived the night and even chirped a bit at me and opened its mouth to beg for food the next morning!

IMG_9218.jpeg

I called a lot of rehabbers - it’s busy season and a lot were full, so I had trouble, but I finally found one who agreed to take it. Only thing - they were 1-1/2 hours drive away from me. So the newly-named Edgar and I got into the car, and I hauled him up there. Dropped him off along with a donation to hopefully to cover his rehab costs and then some. I hope he makes it. It’s just one silly little baby bird, but he was so feisty and fighting so hard. I’ll see if I can get an update from the rehab in a week or so.

Good on ya! Your karma points are soaring! 😍
Thanks Tasty!

I do hope he pulls through; I’ve done other bird rescues before, although always of adults (a cardinal, a robin, and even a great blue heron once). Unfortunately, none of them made it, but I have my fingers crossed for this little guy - he’s definitely a fighter. I figure even if he doesn’t make it, the donation I made can help other animals. They’ve got some pretty cool species there for rehab, including foxes, a deer, groundhogs, and even a beaver.

Thanks Tasty!

I do hope he pulls through; I’ve done other bird rescues before, although always of adults (a cardinal, a robin, and even a great blue heron once). Unfortunately, none of them made it, but I have my fingers crossed for this little guy - he’s definitely a fighter. I figure even if he doesn’t make it, the donation I made can help other animals. They’ve got some pretty cool species there for rehab, including foxes, a deer, groundhogs, and even a beaver.
I'm rooting for Edgar!

It's raining here. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and tried to go back to sleep but it didn't work out so I checked emails, news, stock markets and the forum a bit. I've got a little work to do this afternoon, hoping the rain stops.

We renamed it to the "Garmin magical mystery tour"
To find my garmin when I bluetooth link it to my laptop it needed a name, so I went with the obvious -
'Satnavsaysno'
so when I first joined here and saw your username I thought uhuh I KNOW that pain 😆

I'm going to have fun this morning. Giving a private Indian Food course to a couple, the parents of one of my son's friends. They're apparently real foodies, so we should have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom