The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:14 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_4061.jpeg

I visited Holland, Michigan, last week for the annual Tulip Festival. Holland has a lot of residents from the homeland, and so there are quite a few excellent Dutch things...like tulips and gouda. The unseasonably warm temperatures caused the tulips to bloom a bit earlier than usual, though they still looked (and smelled) amazing. And, the varieties of gouda were mind-blowing. I didn't want to scare my family with the truffle or dill infused gouda (though maybe another time). Smoked gouda has always been a favorite of mine, so the decision was easy.

This is a bit like an Alfredo preparation, with gouda instead of parmesano reggiano, though there are other differences. Most importantly, everyone in my family liked it! This is very unusual from a group that can't agree on anything, so I will certainly make it again.

Ingredients

2 pounds chicken breast
Chicken seasoning (I used Chupacabra Chicken Seasoning)
2 tablespoons bacon grease
1/2 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces cremini ("baby bella") mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup cream cheese
1 cup smoked gouda, grated
1/2 cup chicken stock
2-3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 green onions, cut in small pieces
Salt as desired (it's pretty salty as-is)

Directions

1. Trim chicken breasts of fat. Cut into 1 inch (25 mm) chunks. Season with chicken seasoning and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

2. Melt bacon grease in a pan on medium heat, and saute onions until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid is released, about 2 minutes. Melt butter in the pan, then add chicken pieces. Stir occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.

IMG_4056.jpeg

3. Stir cream cheese and gouda into the pan.

IMG_4057.jpeg

4. Stir in cornstarch if desired, and cook until thickened. Add salt if desired. Stir in green onions, and serve over egg noodles.

IMG_4060.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom