Recipe á la Tartare: Classic Burgundy Steak Tartare.

Francesca

Local time
5:15 PM
GERMAINTARTARETRIOVGBOOK17990324_1512701138771470_9012807765659499237_o.jpg

The name " a´ la Tartare, was first served in the early 1900s in Burgundy, France and was documented in The 1921 Edition of Escoffier´s Le Guide Culinaire.
Photo Credit & Courtesy: Author & Photographer Philippe Germain.
French Book: Visions Gourmandes.

Ingredients: (for 2 )
10 ounces of beef tenderloin or filet mignon ( diced finely)
2 Evoo packed anchovy filets minced finely
3 Teaspoons of Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons of Capers ( minced )
2 Tablespoons of shallot or a small onion of choice ( minced finely )
1 Large Egg to combine all the ingredients.
2 Tablespoons of minced fresh parsley
4 Teaspoons of French Green Evoo or Tarragona Evoo ( poured slowly while combining )
Approx. 1 Teaspoon of a drizzle of Worcestershire Sauce
1 large glass bowl
2 molds approx. less tan 10 inches each and 1 mold approx. 12 inches round approx.
1 Yolk for decorative purposes ( see photo )

Extras: (For the Art of Plating Instructions )
Shallot or onion rings
Mint, Leaves for Decorative Plating ( can use parsley if you prefer )
Bernaise or Relished Tartare Salsa ( serve in sauce boats or other vessels )
Capers ( place around half the oval as seen in photo )
Cherry Tomatoes (créate a coulis) for the train track oval ( see photo )
French or Italian Cracker Toasts ( see Steak Tartare )
A slate board or a black porcelain To Serve ..

Method

1. Firstly, it is up to you, however, freeze the beef for only 15 minutes ..
  2. Let defrost and dry with KItchen towelling thoroughly.
  3. Combine the anchovies, the capers, the mustard in a large glass bowl.
  4. Season lightly with salt (as you have the anchovies) and freshly ground black pepper
  5. Now, add the rest of the minced / diced ingredients and 1 egg to all the tartes ( 3 eggs). Prepare each of the tartares separately.
  6. Add the meat last. Combine thoroughly.
  7. Place in refrigerator in large glass bowl for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
  8. Repeat the same, but for the Smoked Salmon Tartare, marinate in a fresh lemon juice and Evoo with dill Marinade (no more than 20 minutes marinating in glass bowl) and the Red Onion Tartare: Mince the onion and place in a glass bowl with salt and freshly pepper & add either some tartare relish sauce or home made mayonnaise, a tiny teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper, and a tiny tsp. of Dijon Mustard, to hold it together .. Place all 3 in glass bowls separately and put in refrig ..

The Plating Up:
  1. Start by drawing an Oval Train Track With some Red Tomato Coulis with a Pipette vial on a Black Slate Slab or black large plate .. ( as in photo )
  2. Place the steak tartare on the tray or slate board in a 12 inch approx. mold and then lift the mold ..
  3. Now, take some minced onion or shallot and arrange on the board or plate as seen in the photograph.
  4. Align the capers behind the meat and on the edge of the tomato coulis (see Photo ) ..
  5. Now, place some mint leaves, or parsley with a little onion or shallot ring on top of the steak tartare.
  6. Place the other 2 tartares in a smaller mold, in front of the steak tartare as in photo. Approx. 8 inch circular molds ..
  7. Finish the presentation by placing the toasts to give height to the steak tartare as in photo.

Last edited:
There a quite a few people who won't consider eating steak tartare as it is essentially raw beef. I'm not one of them!

A few questions as the plating instructions are complicated:

Make 1 cylinder of tomatoes and place on the exterior of the track.
  • Where is the cylinder of tomatoes in the photo? And how do you make the cylinder? Is it just raw tomato?
Now, take some minced onion or shallot and arrange on the board or plate as seen in the photograph.
  • Is this the red onion tartare referred to in step 8 of the method? How do you make it? Is it just raw onion?
Bernaise or Relished Tartare Salsa
  • Where is the Bearnaise on the plate? What is relished tatare salsa?
Finally:
  • What is the yellow half sphere in the photo?

@morning glory,

Now to answer your questions:

1) The Yellow Sphere is a raw Yolk.
2) The Bernaise or the Tartare Sauces are served in sauce boats or other similar holders. However, they can be placed on the slate board. My error here, as the Author / Photographer decided to remove the salsas for better photographic expression for his book. They are not on the slate board in photograph.
3) The salmon tartare: The salmon is marinated in fresh lemon juice and fresh dill for 20 minutes in refrigerator .. One can add capers, and shallot or onion and even mango diced if they wish and avocado if they wish .. This one is just salmon marinated with lemon and dill & 1 small to médium egg to hold it together.
4) The Red Onion Tartare: This is red onion and 1 small egg which holds it together .. And a mint leaf for decorative and color ..
5) The Author / Photographer did not wish to crowd the photograph as the focus is the Triology of Tartares .. On the oval tomato coulis train track drawn with a pipette ..

Sorry .. I corrected the errors ..
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
I think you need to amend the ingredients list re the egg yolk and clarify how to make the salmon tartare and the onion tartare.

I'm a bit confused by the onion tartare. How can a raw egg hold raw onion together?

What about the tomato cylinder I mentioned above.

Sorry to keep asking!

@morning glory,

All corrections made and there is an explanation why the photographer author took out the cylinder .. He did not want to overcrowd the slate board for photographic purposes. The récipe was corrected and this step was eliminated.

Okay, it was my error .

1) If you re - read the récipe, you shall see that I corrected the Ingredients for the Onion Tartare. The ingredients are: Home made Mayonnaise with a bit of Dijon, salt and freshly ground pepper to hold it together and / or you can use home made tartare relished salsa ..

2) I explained and corrected above récipe as there is "no cylinder" because the photographer and author ( same gentleman ) did not want to over crowd the black slate slab or board in which he, designed for his book .. So, he eliminated it ..

So, all is corrected Now ..

Again, I am unconvinced that I will ever attempt to make this. But if I saw it in a restaurant...

Steak Tartare is really a very simple dish - no cooking or real skill involved other than chopping! Its basically raw steak finely chopped (mixed with chopped shallots, capers etc) and served with a raw egg yolk which is usually placed on top. The recipe which Francesca has posted looks complicated because it includes extra things (so there are recipes within the recipe).

Here is Nigel Slater's version:

Finely chop 200g of steak – it should be as fine as you can chop it without actually mincing it – then add in 40g of finely chopped shallot, 40g of finely chopped cornichon, 2 tsp capers, 3 tsp of Worcestershire sauce, 6 drops of Tabasco, a little salt, black pepper and then stir carefully. Place the tartare on a plate, neatly in a mound. Make a slight hollow in the centre, break an egg yolk into the hollow and serve.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/11/nigel-slater-classic-steak-tartare

Last edited:
Steak Tartare is really a very simple dish - no cooking or real skill involved other than chopping! Its basically raw steak finely chopped (mixed with chopped shallots, capers etc) and served with a raw egg yolk which is usually placed on top. The recipe which Francesca has posted look complicated because it includes extra things (so there are recipes within the recipe).

Here is Nigel Slater's version:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/11/nigel-slater-classic-steak-tartare

@morning glory ,

The récipe itself is not complicated.

It is highly detailed oriented in the "decorative" art of plating the triology of tartares. So it is challenging to créate the 1st time !

Thanks again for posting the link. The recipe that I posted is the author´s family´s Recipe and they are French. He is a relative of mine. Again it is locality and the nuances from one place to another. There are uncountable versions.

Have a lovely evening ..

Last edited:
Again, I am unconvinced that I will ever attempt to make this. But if I saw it in a restaurant...

Good Afternoon Ken Natton,

This is actually quite simple to prepare .. There are 3 Tartares ..

What is a bit challenging, the first time, is the art of plating ..

Thank you and have a nice evening ..

I can't make up my mind about this dish. The steak tartare works well with all three of the other elements, but I am not sure how the egg yolk would work with either the smoked salmon or the onion. If (and I am only guessing, not having tried it) that were the case then why spoil a classic combination by adding elements that don't all work together just for the sake of a pretty plate? However, it is a pretty plate and I am itching to try it, hopefully to prove myself wrong.

@epicuric,

The Yolk is actually a "protein amuse boûche " ( appetiser ) and the photographer and author ( family ) had used it actually for color to enhance the design of the plating.

It is a bit challenging to design the slate board or black plate the 1st time, however, it is relatively easy the 2nd time around ..

You can use your own ideas, for example something yellow gold to provide color of your choice .. as far as an ingredient would go ..

Have a lovely day and Thank you.

@epicuric,

The Yolk is actually a "protein amuse boûche " ( appetiser ) and the photographer and author ( family ) had used it actually for color to enhance the design of the plating.

It is a bit challenging to design the slate board or black plate the 1st time, however, it is relatively easy the 2nd time around ..

You can use your own ideas, for example something yellow gold to provide color of your choice .. as far as an ingredient would go ..

Have a lovely day and Thank you.
It is interesting, we touched on this a short while ago on another thread - Great British Menu, or something similar (@morning glory will know) - the balance between food and visual art. I do find it a little disturbing when elements of a dish are chosen to make the plate look good. Maybe I'm being a bit conservative, but I prefer the food to be king, and the plate chosen to suit the food, not the other way round. I think this deserves a thread of its own - i will have a go.

Last edited:

If its an 'amuse bouche' then it would be served before the dish. But in any case raw egg yolk is an absolute classic accompaniment to steak tartare. You only have to google steak tartare to see that. I tend to agree with @epicuric though, that the idea of egg yolk and smoked salmon doesn't overly appeal.

If its an 'amuse bouche' then it would be served before the dish. But in any case raw egg yolk is an absolute classic accompaniment to steak tartare. You only have to google steak tartare to see that. I tend to agree with @epicuric though, that the idea of egg yolk and smoked salmon doesn't overly appeal.

@morning glory,

This is true however, there is also an egg in the Steak Tartare too ..

This is an author and photographer´s labors of an art of plating idea.

One can select a golden yellow colored ingredient to suit their taste and prepare it in a sphere, and / or use the egg with the Steak Tartar, which is what we did when we were working on the book.

As you know, récipes can have substitutions .. I do agree, that I too am not a fan of eggs with salmon or onion for that matter .. However, the photograph is simply incredible ..

Have a lovely day.

Back
Top Bottom