Рееlіng Frеsh Наrd Воіlеd Еggs?

Nho Huynh

Veteran
Local time
12:43 AM
І'vе bееn еаtіng mоrе hаrd bоіlеd еggs lаtеlу, but аm hаvіng а lоt оf trоublе рееlіng thеm; іnеvіtаblу, сhunks оf whіtе gеt tоrn оut. І knоw usіng frеsh еggs mаkеs іt dіffісult, but unlеss І buу 3 dоzеn еggs аt оnсе (аnd gіvеn thаt І lіvе wіth 4 реорlе, thеrе's nоt еnоugh rооm іn thе frіdgе fоr іt), І'm nоt ехасtlу surе hоw tо gеt оldеr еggs. Аnу tірs оn hоw tо рееl frеsh hаrd bоіlеd еggs?
Неrе's hоw І'm сооkіng/сооlіng thеm рrіоr tо рееlіng thеm, sо іf thеrе's sоmеthіng І'm dоіng wrоng іn thіs рrосеss, рlеаsе lеt mе knоw!
  • Еggs іn роt wіth соld wаtеr
  • Вrіng wаtеr tо а bоіl, turn оff thе hеаt аnd соvеr fоr 17 mіnutеs
  • Роur оut hоt wаtеr, shосk wіth соld wаtеr
  • Рut еggs аnd соld wаtеr іntо соntаіnеr іn thе frіdgе оvеrnіght (І аlwауs mаkе thеm іn thе еvеnіng sо І саn еаt thеm оn mу wау оut іn thе mоrnіng)
Lіkе І sаіd, аnу аdvісе wоuld bе hеlрful. Тhаnks!

Really fresh eggs are notorious for not shelling. The older an egg is, the easier it is (age of the uncooked egg that is)...

The trick we have found is to use a teaspoon to run it around inside the shell after removing a small section of shell... but there is another thread (here) with loads more tips...

I once boiled some eggs the last time that I made potato salad.

The eggs were tough like rubber!! Come to find out that I had them TOO LONG in the fridge, to the point where they were way outdated!!! :eek: :eek:

I have been using hard boiled eggs myself quite a bit lately. After boiling the egg in hot water, I turn off the pot and let the egg rest there for about 5 minutes. I then remove the egg with a big spoon and run tap water over it, not cold water. Afterwards, I would just put the egg on a plate and let it finish cooling for about 10 minutes on its own. After this, I find that the egg shells easily. I never use cold water or put the egg in the fridge. If I try to shell it immediately after running it under tap water, I have a problem with a lot of white coming off with the shell. So, the trick is to let it finish cooling on its own.

I was always told that, like blanching, you must immediately put the egg(s) in cold water to STOP the cooking and to cool it down fast.

If not, then there's a slight chance that the egg could end up becoming overcooked & rubbery, also with a gray yolk!! :eek:

I put the eggs in the freezer as well after boiling. I find that doing this will make the eggs easier to peel. :)

Well I always like my hard boiled eggs with a little warmth still left in them after cooking, so I don't think I would want to put them in the refrigerator or the freezer. I think they may be too cold for me to eat after that. In fact, however my eggs are done, whether hard boiled, fried or scrambled, I like them with some warmth in them.

I cannot remember off the top of my head exactly what it was, but I recall reading an article that suggested adding baking soda & vinegar or perhaps just baking soda to your water that you are boiling the eggs in - it supposedly does something to the shell to weaken it and make it softer and somehow easier to peel off the egg.

I've always done pretty much what you just mentioned, shocking the eggs in ice cold water to chill them through. It seems like when I try to peel them while they are still warm the egg whites are a bit softer and tear, whereas if I chill them very well, the egg white firm up and don't rip as easily.

I like the spoon idea though too, that seems to make a lot more sense.

It is a game of patience I agree, soaking in cold water and then leaving it to rest is best. I usually can't wait if I want to eat it and the spoon idea is better otherwise you end with too many fragments and losing half the egg white as well.

If I'm peeling it and it's not working, I put it back in cold water to soak.

Back
Top Bottom