10 Grilling Myths

To Epicuric:
BTU's are a measurement of heat, and so give you an idea of the heating capacity of a cooking appliance. If your burner doesn't deliver enough BTU's to a large pressure canner, the canner won't come up to the proper temperature and allow you to make shelf stable food. If there are too many BTU's applied to a pot, the foods withing may be scorched.
Knowing the available BTU's delivered by an appliance allows us to size the appliance to our needs. If I'm making lots of sauces, in very large pans, I want more available heat. A gas grill must be able to provide sufficient heat (BTU's) to produce desired results. So yes, BTU's are important to the cook. We don't usually think about that as we cook. But if our oven knob says it will heat the oven to 475' F., but when you put a large turkey in it that absorbs too much of that heat from the air, and the oven can't produce enough heat to maintain the desire temperature, then the desired results will be foiled.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind

Classic, the answer to your question about how many BTU's are use to cook an egg in the oven, or to cook the egg in boiling water. It takes less energy eto cook the egg in boiling water because liquid transfers the heat to the egg much more efficiently than does air. Also, the water is in contact with the cooking vessel, which is in contact with the heat source, so less heat is wasted to the outside environment.

Seeeeeeeya' Chief Longwind

Classic, the answer to your question about how many BTU's are use to cook an egg in the oven, or to cook the egg in boiling water. It takes less energy eto cook the egg in boiling water because liquid transfers the heat to the egg much more efficiently than does air. Also, the water is in contact with the cooking vessel, which is in contact with the heat source, so less heat is wasted to the outside environment.

Seeeeeeeya' Chief Longwind
Nice answer, but would an egg cooked in the oven be a boiled egg?

Epicuric, to get that steak to the well done steak, without it becoming shoe leather, is easy, as you stated. You simply need to not overcook it. If you bring the internal temperature to 160'F and then immediately remove it from the heat, and let it sit for about seven minutes, you will have the steak you want.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

i just saw this thread and love it haha.
i once sent a T bone steak back 3 times because it was to rare , the 3rd time i sent it back the cook came throught the doors put his hands on his hips and stared at me , i looked him straight in the eye and said "i'm the one paying for the dang thing and i said burn it " the place erupted with people clapping and cheering for me , and yea you can bet that cook , cooked that steak MY WAY

i just saw this thread and love it haha.
i once sent a T bone steak back 3 times because it was to rare , the 3rd time i sent it back the cook came throught the doors put his hands on his hips and stared at me , i looked him straight in the eye and said "i'm the one paying for the dang thing and i said burn it " the place erupted with people clapping and cheering for me , and yea you can bet that cook , cooked that steak MY WAY

How do you define "too rare?"

CD

the right way to cook any steak is : any way the man paying for it wants it !!!! from still moving to crunchy ....end of discussion !!!!!

My kids like their steak just barely sizzled on the outside. An English mate of mine used to say " Cook it until I can´t see any blood" ie. shoe leather. You cook your steaks however you like them.

Back
Top Bottom