15 years ago in the UK

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
12:55 PM
Have we forgotten the lessons learnt then?

We had the largest mass outbreak of foot and mouth since the 60's. Prices of fresh produce rose slightly, meat was nearly impossible get at decent prices.

Hygiene however was at an all time high. Movements from farms were restricted. And for me, doing the Census, in places the measures taken were extreme. Other areas were no go areas/off limits, even to government workers without clearance. We were extra sets of eyes, to report any movement.

I was stopped by my cousin, entering Ireland. Every passenger getting of the ferry was being stopped, being asked and checked where they'd come from. A fresh case and being stopped by a relative, meant I was asked to stand to one side. His superior making the decision. I'd have happily turned about and waited for the next sailing home rather than being responsible for bringing it into a country that was clear at the time.

Now I see stuff that wasn't being done then, being done once again. Shops not clearing up being the main one.

Was it that long ago?

I remember the problems very well living rurally. Cows not being able to be moved fields and ending up in the most appalling conditions as a result. Then after months of thinking our area had gotten away with it, it was found locally and everything around us (on one side) had to be slaughtered. We remember well wondering if the Highland Coo that was reportedly used in the Harry Potter films would survive on one of the local farms (she did by the skin of her teeth).

I also remember well going on holiday much later in the year (winter - over Christmas) and travelling from Cumbria to Yorkshire and back. Free car wash twice in one day! We felt ever so guilty. After that we stayed in Cumbria and didn't venture back into the Yorkshire dales until the following year.

Doing the census at the time. We were given a list of addresses that we couldn't go near, paths/roads that couldn't be used.

One person, who'd been the local butcher upto the early 80's, wrong name put him out of business, lost the lot.

I'm afraid we do not learn from the past, either in items of hygiene [or sadly even world politics] and we probably never will.
Check out the newspapers from today and those from twenty years ago [and then from 50 or even 100 years ago if you want]. The language changes and the attitudes vary from decade to decade but basically the stories are the same. Once something is over it's yesterdays news. Today’s headline is tomorrows wrapping paper

Headlines may be one thing, the way we actually live another. 2013 saw six herds put down in the South of England due to Foot and Mouth. One known case this year. So far from over.

@sidevalve, put yourself where I was 15 years ago. Start of your holiday. What would you have done? With everything paid for.

Back
Top Bottom