Recipe 20 Minute Mushroom Risotto...and It's Light, Too

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:52 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
You say you haven't given up your dream of being on "Chopped", and you're looking for a killer recipe? You'd like to make risotto, but you've seen so many chefs go down in flames because risotto is supposed to take 45 minutes to cook properly. Here's a way to serve up delicious risotto in less than half the time. When I made this, I used the same amount of stock that I normally use when making farro on the stove top: 2 1/2 cups. When I cracked open the lid of the pressure cooker, it was still too watery, and I had to continue cooking on the stove (without the lid) to absorb the liquid. Keeping in mind that the pressure cooker doesn't allow the liquids to boil off like a normal cook pot, however, the quantity of liquid should be slightly less than you'd normally use.

And, I wasn't kidding when I put light in the title: this checks in at a wispy 20 calories an ounce, compared to a traditional risotto that's...well, a lot more than that (about 5 times more, depending on how much you love cheese).

Of course, there could be some debate about whether this is really a proper risotto: first, where's the cheese and cream? Secondly, is it really a proper risotto if you don't use arborio rice? Well, the great thing about this recipe is that it's very flexible. In a traditional risotto, the cream and cheese are added at the end. You can still do that here. And, I used farro because...well, because I love farro. The same technique works with any kind of rice. But, that's the great thing about being a home cook: the rules are quite flexible. :wink:

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 cup cracked farro
  • 4 fresh thyme leaves, diced
  • 8 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon white wine
  • 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in pressure cooker with the top off to medium heat, and saute onions until they become translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add farro and diced thyme leaves to the pan and stir continuously to coat for about 1 minute. Add mushroom slices and stir for another minute.
  3. Add wine to deglaze the pan, making sure to scrape up anything that's gotten browned onto the surface. Add vegetable stock to the pressure cooker and stir.
  4. Seal pressure cooker, and raise heat to high. Maintain high pressure for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and run water on the lid to loosen up seal.
  5. Stir for about a minute to allow further absorption of liquid into the farro. If the consistency is too thin, place pressure cooker pot on stove - with the top off - and heat while stirring frequently until desired consistency is reached.

IMG_0718.JPG

Interesting recipe. Is the calorie content a lot less because of the farro? I thought it had the same or more calories than rice. I haven't checked...

This looks like a good reason to finally unbox and use my pressure cooker. I love a good risotto, and mushrooms as well. I'm thinking a king oyster and shiitake mushroom risotto. Or maybe a crimini, button, and wood ear mushroom risotto.

Thanks, LNG.

This looks like a good reason to finally unbox and use my pressure cooker. I love a good risotto, and mushrooms as well. I'm thinking a king oyster and shiitake mushroom risotto. Or maybe a crimini, button, and wood ear mushroom risotto.

Thanks, LNG.
I like the idea of the combo mushrooms. I just used oyster mushrooms because they were on-hand. And, I would have put in a lot more (maybe a pound, vs half that much).

I'm a purist with risotto. Arborio rice becomes creamy as its cooked and there shouldn't be a need to add cream. I wonder what @MypinchofItaly thinks about adding cream.
My dad was born in northern Italy, and despite what this suggests, he didn't have firm opinions about such things. Sometimes, he'd use cream, other times he wouldn't, just to see what it was like both ways. :)

My dad was born in northern Italy, and despite what this suggests, he didn't have firm opinions about such things. Sometimes, he'd use cream, other times he wouldn't, just to see what it was like both ways. :)

Oh really? In the north of Italy there's a great tradition of rice and risotti and I'm a fan! But I'm not sure to understand what do you mean with adding cream...what kind of cream?

Oh really? In the north of Italy there's a great tradition of rice and risotti and I'm a fan! But I'm not sure to understand what do you mean with adding cream...what kind of cream?
I've seen recipes where heavy cream is added. I don't think it's necessary. When my dad tried it once, he didn't care for it, either. He lived near Trieste, which had a number of different influences. I think this is why he was willing to try so many different things, and why I end up cooking a lot of Asian food (not that Asian food is particularly popular there, but the idea of fusing different cultures opens me up to the idea).

People in the States wouldn't even call this "Italian food", since the cuisine of the south is so much more common. I mean, who hears sauerkraut and connects it with Italy? Note to self: make some jota! :chef:

I've seen recipes where heavy cream is added. I don't think it's necessary. When my dad tried it once, he didn't care for it, either. He lived near Trieste, which had a number of different influences. I think this is why he was willing to try so many different things, and why I end up cooking a lot of Asian food (not that Asian food is particularly popular there, but the idea of fusing different cultures opens me up to the idea).

People in the States wouldn't even call this "Italian food", since the cuisine of the south is so much more common. I mean, who hears sauerkraut and connects it with Italy? Note to self: make some jota! :chef:
I thought sauerkraut was German.

"Heavy cream" is cheese or butter? oh wow Trieste, fantastic city! It has a lot of influences, you're right: Austria/Istria/Dalmazia and many more. Effectively, sauerkraut isn't so Italian....but it is :happy:. The influences are also about some of the Italian zone: for example in the Parma area they are little french? And they speak as if you're speaking with a French ( the R for example). Or also, there's a little isle in the south of Sardegna where people speak the genovese dialect of '600...and the cuisine is very different from the rest of Sardegna....but back to the topic...the cream maybe isn't necessary for some risotti, but for others is tradition

It most definitely is German. But, it's been co-opted for use in some Northern Italian dishes. Here's a dish my dad had quite often as a child:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Trieste-Style-Sauerkraut-and-Bean-Soup

I think, being near any border, it's inevitable that there will be some bleed-through of one culture into the other, as MypinchofItaly notes.

Very interesting recipe....I didn't know. I'd like to eat it next time I'll go in Trieste..

No - its thick cream: crema

Or maybe this is more correct: panna da cucina densa

Oh! Panna da cucina! Oh no no, is not so used in Italy...especially for risotto, never! It was used a lot in the '80s but for some dish of pasta or tortellini with peas and cooked ham..I sometimes used "panna" but for some particular recipes..and never in risotti.

Back
Top Bottom