A Diabetic person can live a normal life too

ReadmeByAmy

Veteran
Local time
9:23 PM
If you happened to be a diabetic person do not think that it is already the end of everything in your life.Do not worry and you can live a normal life too. I had a family member and relatives who had been with the disease for a long time ago and yet they are just fine and doing all of these..... by following your special diets, medications and positive outlook in life you can live your life to the fullest. Are you a diabetic person?...How are you doing and coping with the disease?...What are your special diets?....

Not a diabetic, epileptic(Am I allowed to use that word?), but I agree with most of what is said above. Apart from following the "special diets". If I'd followed them, I think I'd have gone mad long ago. Over the years its been cut out salt, sugar, cut down on the drink, give up smoking, consider a bit more exercise(when that was said, I was cycling 250 miles a weekend to and from work) and I'd cycled there anyway.

Medication needs to be taken at set times, always with food. Some before some with and some after. The requirements have changed as different medications are used. The latest being one boiled egg every day for breakfast, nothing else. I've eaten some odd foods, and stayed away from others through personal choice, seldom through medication requirements.

Take sensible steps and there is no reason why any condition should really be the end of everything.

This is timely. If only I would go to the doctor who told me more than a year ago I am borderline.....I know I am not being very smart by not getting to know what my real status is at this stage.

This is timely. If only I would go to the doctor who told me more than a year ago I am borderline.....I know I am not being very smart by not getting to know what my real status is at this stage.
I have been ' borderline ' diabetic for years, no decades now according to my doctor. My endocrinologist who I see for another far more serious condition, that will kill me considerably more quickly than being borderline diabetic, tells me that my blood work shows I don't have 'type 2 diabetes' and there is no explanation for the hypers or hypos that I sometimes suffer! I take my blood sugar level first thing in the morning (so a fasting bloods) and if there is an issue during the day, but unless I'm ill it is usually pretty stable so I don't worry anymore. My Dr still had me as borderline but there we go.

If you can get referred or buy yourself a home testing kit (I don't know how available they are in Barbados) and just monitor it for a few months. You may spot a pattern that you can discuss with your doctor.

Medication needs to be taken at set times, always with food. Some before some with and some after. The requirements have changed as different medications are used. The latest being one boiled egg every day for breakfast, nothing else. I've eaten some odd foods, and stayed away from others through personal choice, seldom through medication requirements.

One of my medications had this wonderful line whereby it states if you take it before food and it makes you sick, try taking it after food. If it makes you sick taking it after food, try taking it on an empty stomach! Come on, make your mind up!

For me, that particular medication absolutely has to be taken after food and I don't eat or drink anything for another hour except water, that being the only thing that doesn't bounce. Ironically is a diuretic!

If you can get referred or buy yourself a home testing kit (I don't know how available they are in Barbados) and just monitor it for a few months. You may spot a pattern that you can discuss with your doctor.
My mom and mother-in-law are diabetic, both on insulin so especially because of my mom I am quite high risk. I am sure we have kits but I think I have always preferred not to check which I know is not the smart thing. The thing I know you have on me is that your eating is much healthier than mine. It's not to say I eat terribly but.........

I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2010. It runs in my family so strongly and my sister passed away in 2013 from a diabetic stroke at the age of only 46. Some people do not realize what a deadly disease this can be. However, it is also very hard to completely change your lifestyle and cut out everything that is bad for you. One thing I have done that has helped a lot is cutting out soda completely and drinking a lot of water. I am able to keep my sugar levels better under control and have been able to take medication instead of going on insulin shots. Now if I could only conquer my love for pasta and other starchy foods.

My niece is 25 years old and was diagnosed of diabetes when she was 15. She is in insulin now with 5 shots everyday. Although her diet is somewhat restricted, she still enjoys life because she had learned to adjust. She is still allowed to eat chocolate bar but on a limited volume. That includes even fruits like half a mango only or 1 piece of banana. As she said, you will get used to the restrictions that you will learn how to cope and be contented with the small amount given to you for consumption.

This is not my favourite subject as I keep staying away from the doctor on this matter having been told I am borderline almost two years ago. I know it's not smart but I am seen people live relatively 'normal' lives. Diet and exercise are preached as the 'cure' to better living.

This is not my favourite subject as I keep staying away from the doctor on this matter having been told I am borderline almost two years ago. I know it's not smart but I am seen people live relatively 'normal' lives. Diet and exercise are preached as the 'cure' to better living.
I wouldn't worry too much about borderline. I have been borderline for nearly 2 decades now. If I eat only a little the day before and don't eat anything after 6pm at night and only have water until a fasting blood test I can get my sugar levels low enough for them to be happy with the results again. if I observe the instructions I am given about when and what I can eat the night before I will be over the required level and need another one yet again.

I've been told by my endocrinologist that I don't have diabetes full stop. I don't have something else, a marker (?) in my blood, just periodically my blood sugar levels get out of control, usually when I'm off colour with a big that had not fully developed our something similar. Then I can have diabetic highs (complete with shakes, confusion and on one occasion loss of consciousness!) and occasional lows as well (usually just me feeling physically sick all day, lacking energy and just generally off tilt all day). I do have other endocrine issues though.

Diabetes is living hell for someone who previously loved everything carby. My biggest challenge has been learning to balance hunger and how to spend my carbs wisely. A lot of people don't realize how much bad there is in the American diet until they are forced to monitor every bite. Everything you put in your mouth could be a potential death sentence.

Us diabetics are given certain guidelines to follow. Yes, it looks perfectly easy on paper. It is a constant decision of, do I have that drink of sweet tea or would I rather have another piece of toast. Living with diabetes isn't easy. It's not a normal lifestyle. Yes while we can sort of maintain a somewhat normal life style it's emotionally taxing. It's a constant battle with food.

Back
Top Bottom