Recipe A Hot Toddy

I never heard of water being added.. I am with you on this one. First time I am hearing about lempsip @epicuric. You taught me something. I Googled it quickly. Is it an English thing?
I've never heard of a hot Toddy bring made without hot water. how would you make it hot, if you do not add not water?

One of our lodgers used to make it with hot milk. There was a knack to making it with hot milk to ensure it didn't curdle. I never worked it out.
Another we have always had and is something that doesn't appeal when your not ill, is a hot Ribena (blackcurrant juice). There's something about it hot that make you feel so much better... In this household Ribena is actually only even drunk hot.
I have heard of it being made with hot milk. My grandmother used to make something similar which was just not milk and whiskey with sugar to make it tasty better. I don't remember it having much whiskey involved though which could be how it didn't curdle.

Got Ribena sounds curious though I don't think I'm one to try it. I'm not that brave.

I've never heard of a hot Toddy bring made without hot water. how would you make it hot, if you do not add not water?
You heat up the whiskey, honey and lemon juice. Not enough to boil off the alcohol, just enough to get it very warm.

You heat up the whiskey, honey and lemon juice. Not enough to boil off the alcohol, just enough to get it very warm.
I think it's easier to boil the kettle and add hot water, as though you're making a cup of tea or coffee.

Actually around here I have never heard of a Hot Toddy but we are quite familiar with hearing people use some brandy or whiskey or some other strong drink, combined with some honey and lime to knock the flu or cold out of your system. I guess the water makes it into a nice drink?

I think it's easier to boil the kettle and add hot water, as though you're making a cup of tea or coffee.
Hello. I think this is one of those pond things. I don't know of many people here that keep a kettle of hot water.
You are correct on making french press coffee or some drip coffees. However, for making a regular pot of coffee, you need cold water not hot water. Let me describe. In an electric drip style coffee maker, you put the ground coffee in a filter basket, then pour cold water in the machine. The machine then heats the water and pours it over the coffee.
In a percolator, you put water in the bottom, put the basket of coffee with a holey lid on top then start heating up the water. (This can be done either with an electric percolator or a stove top model.)

Note, I do keep a pot of hot water going in the winter on cold days for hot chocolate, hot tea and hot apple cider.

Actually around here I have never heard of a Hot Toddy but we are quite familiar with hearing people use some brandy or whiskey or some other strong drink, combined with some honey and lime to knock the flu or cold out of your system. I guess the water makes it into a nice drink?
Yes it does make for a nice drink.

Hello. I think this is one of those pond things. I don't know of many people here that keep a kettle of hot water.
You are correct on making french press coffee or some drip coffees. However, for making a regular pot of coffee, you need cold water not hot water. Let me describe. In an electric drip style coffee maker, you put the ground coffee in a filter basket, then pour cold water in the machine. The machine then heats the water and pours it over the coffee.
In a percolator, you put water in the bottom, put the basket of coffee with a holey lid on top then start heating up the water. (This can be done either with an electric percolator or a stove top model.)

Note, I do keep a pot of hot water going in the winter on cold days for hot chocolate, hot tea and hot apple cider.
When I said boil the kettle, I did not mean keeping one going all the time with boiling water in it. That would need a stove or aga which I don't have. A kettle is used. an electric kettle that you fill with cold water, close the lid, press a button and 3 minutes later roughly you have boiling water. It turns off automatically.
I also don't do percolator coffee, it is awful. The instant coffee we have here is much better than that you get (from what I have read). So adding hot water to a whiskey and lemon mixture is not difficult (on this side of the pond).

I have one of these. They are found in pretty much every household in Europe.

kettle.jpg

When I said boil the kettle, I did not mean keeping one going all the time with boiling water in it. That would need a stove or aga which I don't have. A kettle is used. an electric kettle that you fill with cold water, close the lid, press a button and 3 minutes later roughly you have boiling water. It turns off automatically.
I also don't do percolator coffee, it is awful. The instant coffee we have here is much better than that you get (from what I have read). So adding hot water to a whiskey and lemon mixture is not difficult (on this side of the pond).

I have one of these. They are found in pretty much every household in Europe.

View attachment 8861
Actually on any coffee, there is good and bad. It sounds like you got a bad percolator (not the device, the person running the device). I've had both good and bad coffee.
I don't care for our instant coffee though when I was 18, I made many a cup.
I enclosed a link to US tea kettles so you can see why I said across the pond. I figured your kettles were different.
Here are some tea kettles in America. https://www.amazon.com/tea-kettles/b?ie=UTF8&node=289833

Most people here own electric coffee makers.

Hello. I think this is one of those pond things. I don't know of many people here that keep a kettle of hot water...
*ahem* SOME of us stateside people drink tea, hence a kettle on the stove all the time. :D

Also, pour-over coffee is all the rage nowadays. Funny thing is, those fancy cone contraptions they sell for making one or two cups looks an awful lot like the "Coffee Cone" my hubby took with him when he went to college...in 1966! We also have a ceramic coffee pot with aluminum fittings so that you can place a filter and ground coffee in the bottom section, then pour hot water into the top reservoir so that the water steeps slowly through the grounds. Either of those methods make a superior cup of coffee to a percolator or drip machine, but our old faithful Cuisinart drip-brew is easier - push the button and it does the dripping!

*ahem* SOME of us stateside people drink tea, hence a kettle on the stove all the time. :D

Also, pour-over coffee is all the rage nowadays. Funny thing is, those fancy cone contraptions they sell for making one or two cups looks an awful lot like the "Coffee Cone" my hubby took with him when he went to college...in 1966! We also have a ceramic coffee pot with aluminum fittings so that you can place a filter and ground coffee in the bottom section, then pour hot water into the top reservoir so that the water steeps slowly through the grounds. Either of those methods make a superior cup of coffee to a percolator or drip machine, but our old faithful Cuisinart drip-brew is easier - push the button and it does the dripping!
I now know a people. I too keep hot water but only in the winter. I can't say I have seen many pour over coffee makers in this part of the country. That may be due to the weather factors. Or it could be that we are more rural than urban. I am guessing weather.

Somewhere around here, I have an old coffee basket that just fits on a cup.

I think I would be safe in saying that every single household in the UK has an electric kettle which boils water in a few minutes. Is this not the norm Stateside?
No, that is not the norm in the states. I would venture a guess that there isn't a designated tea kettle within a mile of me and I live in the city. I think maybe Target sells them but not sure.

No, that is not the norm in the states. I would venture a guess that there isn't a designated tea kettle within a mile of me and I live in the city. I think maybe Target sells them but not sure.

They aren't 'tea kettles' just electric kettles which heat water to boiling very quickly. Used to make instant coffee, or boiling water for cooking, making instant noodles - all sorts of things. They look like this. They plug into the wall socket.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 15.13.41.png

They aren't 'tea kettles' just electric kettles which heat water to boiling very quickly. Used to make instant coffee, or boiling water for cooking, making instant noodles - all sorts of things. They look like this. They plug into the wall socket.
View attachment 8887
I am absolutely certain that there are not many of those in my region. Now Walmart may sell them, but they do not sell them in my area. There is not even a place for them at our Walmarts. You can buy a stove top tea kettle here at either Walmart or Big Lots. They are not common in certain regions.
The other poster already showed me what is common in your country. I answered your question.
The answer is still no. Hot tea is not real common here. We typically use pans for noodles. There is a reason for that.

Ok, now I have a question for you. Most households in the US, have some type of electric coffee maker. Are those common in the UK? I would guess not since you mentioned instant cofffee. Instant coffee is not real popular in the US. Let me start a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom