A running debate regarding baked beans

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
8:20 PM
There are 4 of us females in the office and today 1 started talking about baked beans, she cooks hers in a microwave, the rest of us all said no they should never be microwaved, much better in a pan on low and slow, the sauce gets thicker and they taste so much better. Our microwave colleague thinks this is tosh, you cannot taste the difference but the rest of us disagree. This debate goes on.

I microwave Heinz beans - you can even get them in individual portion microwaveable pots. I often add spices to them though.

I usually cook them low and slow.

However I do have some of those microwavable snack pots at work for when I'm on a late shift.

Do they taste better? Dunno, but it feels better cooking them properly.

And as MG says I sometimes add spices, usually just a simple curry powder with some sultanas or similar, paprika is also nice.

I've made "baked" beans in the microwave. Started with bacon, then the veges, seasonings and lastly the beans. Doesn't develop the crust beans done in the oven have, but as a side for a quick meal, not bad. I prefer "Cowboy" style beans placed in the smoker for that outdoorsy taste that can only come from wood smoke. A few Burnt Ends added in doesn't hurt either.

Anything that I reheat in the microwave, there's a magnetic cover to avoid that mess!! :wink:

Heinz beans here in tins, with wee sausages as well. Sausages started many years ago as big, but now they are minute. I microwave them.great with poached eggs.

I usually warm them on the hob rather than microwave them. I think the sauce does thicken up more in a pan on the hob but I don't think they actually taste any different.

But never buy Heinz....Branston beans are much nicer!

I prefer to reheat them on the stove. Though I'm quite happy to eat them cold out of a tin. I prefer Heinz baked beans but I actually prefer the Australian version . There's an English style one as well which had more sugar and less tomato in it. Our favourite was beans and cheese on toast, nowadays though it's beans and egg on toast. I'm working on a suitable cheese replacement .

The Heinz ones in ozzy are almost the same as our watties are. Owned by Heinz. I too eat them cold out of the tin, especially after a few drinks,lol.

Russ

I agree with low and slow to get the good thick sauce, but that can be accomplished either stovetop or microwave. You just need to heat the beans for a lot longer on a low power setting. For me 1 full can: 20 minutes power level 3 stirring at least twice while heating. That way you don't have a pot to wash.

Back
Top Bottom