Recipe Ahron Gropper´s Falafel (Pha La Phel & Ta´amiya)

Francesca

Local time
1:13 AM
AHRONGROPPERFALAFELRONFISCHER272801_150351648497300_242491082_o.jpg

Photo Courtesy: Israeli Chef Ahron Gropper.

The origins of Falafel are quite controversial and the theory most accepted is that the Copt Christians of Egypt and the surrounding territories could not eat meat during the Lent. The Egytian Copt Christians prepared Ta´amiya ( Fava Bean Falafel ) and the Israeli and Lebanese prepared the Falafel ( Pha La Phel ) with chick peas.

Chef Ahron Gropper of Israel, has provided me with his 2 recipes:

Pressure Cooker Time for the beans: 1 / 2 Hour for tender ..
Slow Low Flame: 1 hour to 1 1 / 2 Hours for tender ..

Israeli Falafel Recipe:
1 pound of dry Chick Peas ( soaked overnight in salted wáter)
4 - 6 cloves of minced garlic
1 small onion minced
1 large boiling style potato ( boil the potato in salted water and then mash with a masher or large fork )
2 tsps. baking soda
1 / 3 cup of minced fresh parsley
1/ 3 cup of minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
salt to taste
1 grind of freshly ground black pepper
Greek or Israeli Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Egyptian Ta ´amiya Falafel with Fava Beans Recipe:
1 Pound of Dry Fava Beans ( soaked over night in salted wáter )
1 tiny onion minced
2 scallions minced
1 boiling potato large peeled and boiled in salt wáter ( this is your binder to hold the balls together )
1 / 2 bunch of fresh Dill minced with sprigs and frongs ..
1/ 2 bunch of cilantro minced
1/ 2 bunch of parsley minced
6 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp baking soda
2 tblsps cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tblsp unbleached all purpose flour
1 / 4 teaspoon of cayenne ground
3 tablespoons of Sesame seeds
Greek or Israeli Extra Virgin Olive Oil

How To´s
( the procedures are the same for both styles of Falafel )
1) Drain the beans and grind them with the minced garlic, onion and all the spices in a food processor.
2) Process until you obtain a "coarse, slightly moist pasty texture ..
3) If you need to, add a drop of cold wáter .. ( Use cautions )
4) Transfer the mixture to a large glass bowl and add the mashed potato and remaining ingredients and mix well. The mashed potato serves as a binder for the balls and holds them together.
5) Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
6) Now, add the baking soda and combine thoroughly.
7) Now we are going to prepare the "balls" with a device / Mold if you wish or with wet hands as if you were making meatballs or similiar ..
8) Prepare a wax paper or parchment papered tray to place the balls on to rest, prior to frying in batches.
9) Pour the Evoo into a large skillet or fryer ..
10) Let the oil get very hot and just dust, not dredge heavily: dust 1 mini mini dusting not coating or not encrusting; very very lightly the balls and fry all of them. Let them drain on absorbent paper towelling.

Serve with: Tziziki or Hummus or a Greek Style Salad and / or a Pita style bread .. One can also stuff the Pita style bread with a couple of spherical Falafel with vegetables of choice; cucumber, tomato and carrot for example or aubergine and courgette (eggplant and zucchini).

Enjoy. Both are quite amazing. Many Thanks to: Chef Ahron Gropper

Last edited:
@morning glory,

One cannot really distinguish that there is 1 small potato in his Falafel. Its sole purpose is to bind the ingredients so that your spheres of Falafel hold together.

Have a nice day.

Lovely.

The thing I found surprising was the salt added to the soaking water.

Cooking anything with a skin with salt has always been a no no from my Nonna as it will toughen the skins. She often added a slice of tomato to help soften the bean skins.

Even fresh or frozen peas are cooked with a pinch of sugar. Salt is applied after draining.

@Frizz1974,

In Spain we have been soaking beans in salted wáter for centuries ( Roman ) and in Italy as well ..

I have never had a problem with non - tender beans .. I prepare my beans on low slow flame for almost 2 1 / 2 to 3 hours depending on the beans I am preparing .. So, they melt in mouth tender ...

Well, we all have / had our Grandmothers who had or have handed down their legacy of recipes & especially in the Mediterranean and I have never renovated my family`s recipes ..

We enjoy them, as they have always been and they handed them down to my Mom and Dad, and myself, and I had given them to my twin sons and thus, my 2 daughter in laws as well ..

Have a nice evening / day .. 16.40 here ..

Lovely.

The thing I found surprising was the salt added to the soaking water.

That is true! I also was told not to do this. But @Francesca has been doing it... maybe I will try adding salt next time to see if it makes a difference. Normally I wouldn't need to cook soaked beans for as long as 3 hours though.

We had a brief discussion about the role of salt in this thread - specifically, soaking dry beans in salted water - and there is indeed evidence that it softens dried beans. Here's a detailed look at the science involved if you want to know more.

As for the recipes, they seem similar at first, but here are the big differences: the Israeli recipe uses hardly any greens, and so won't yield the green color that we've come to associate with falafel; 2) the Egyptian recipe has half the baking soda (which I can't understand) and a LOT more cumin!

the Israeli recipe uses hardly any greens, and so won't yield the green color that we've come to associate with falafel;

Its hard to know. The Israeli recipe uses cup measurements (1/3 cup of cilantro and parsley). The Egyptian recipe cites 1/2 bunch each of dill, cilantro and parsley. How big is a bunch?!

Its hard to know. The Israeli recipe uses cup measurements (1/3 cup of cilantro and parsley). The Egyptian recipe cites 1/2 bunch each of dill, cilantro and parsley. How big is a bunch?!

@morning glory,

The Chick Pea Falafel are Brown, as in photo above .. The Egyptian Fava are Green, lighter than the color of Parsley or Cilantro ..

I am going to prepare both and take photographs with my 35mm .. I am working except Monday and Tuesday .. So, it is quite time consuming as I also have alot of paper work, clientel servicing and planning the tours according to the profiles of the clients and their ages.

I will get to it .. I love Falafel ( Both ) .. My preference is the Chick Peas .. I get to make Hummus .. Ha Ha ..

How much is a bunch ? Half of the bunch you purchase !! ( Serious: 1 / 3 or 1/2 Cup each )

Both récipes are the same except the Beans and a couple of other ítems but in general they are the same preparation.

@morning glory @The Late Night Gourmet @Cinisajoy

Salted Water: I have never read anything about not salting the wáter for the beans to be soaked overnight .. However, I do not know anyone who does not here in The Mediterranean ..

Chick Peas for example on a very slow slow low low flame take approx .. 1 Hour and 1 / 2 in a stock pot .. White beans ( Alubias or Cannelli ) 2 hours.

1 / 2 hour - in a Pressure Cooker Express Pot.

My error: Not 3 hours. 1 hour & 1 / 2 ..

Back
Top Bottom