Recipe Alföldi Gulyás (A Classical Hungarian Goulash)

Elawin

Guru
Local time
3:01 AM
Alföldi Gulyás is a classical Hungarian Goulash which includes root vegetables in the recipe. It has been taken from a Hungarian tourist information site https://www.budapestbylocals.com/hungarian-goulash.html#recipe which not only includes a history of goulash but also lists alternative goulash dishes and suggestions as to where you can got to eat it when you are next in Budapest!

Alföldi Gulyás.jpg

Ingredients (for 4 persons):
  • 600 g beef shin or shoulder, or any tender part of the beef cut into 2 x 2 cm cubes
  • 2 tablespoons oil or lard
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1-2 carrots, diced
  • 1 parsnip, diced
  • 1-2 celery leaves
  • 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 tbs. tomato paste
  • 2 fresh green peppers
  • 2-3 medium potatoes, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika powder (sweet)
  • 1 teaspoon ground caraway seed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ground black pepper and salt according to taste
  • water
Method:
  1. Heat up the oil or lard in a large pot and braise the chopped onions in it until they get a nice golden brown colour.
  2. Add the beef cubes and sauté them till they turn white and get a bit of brownish colour as well.
  3. Sprinkle the braised onions and meat with paprika powder while stirring them to avoid getting the red spice burnt.
  4. The meat will probably let out its own juice. Let the beef-cubes simmer in it while, adding the grated or crushed and chopped garlic (grated garlic has stronger flavour), the ground caraway seeds, some salt, ground black pepper, and the bay leaf. Pour enough water to cover the content of the pan and let it simmer on low heat for a while.
  5. When the meat is half-cooked (approx. in 1 ½ hours, but it can take longer depending on the type and quality of the beef), add the diced carrots, parsnip, the potatoes, the celery leaf and some more salt if necessary (vegetables tend to call for more salt). You’ll probably have to pour some more (2-3 cups) water too.
  6. When the vegetables and the meat are almost done add the fresh tomato cubes or paste and the sliced green peppers. Let it cook on low heat for another few minutes. You can remove the lid of the pan if you want the soup to thicken.
  7. Bring the soup to the boil and add the csipetke noodles (optional). It needs about 3-5 minutes to get cooked. Add some more water and salt if necessary.
Notes:
  1. May be served with bread or noodles.
  2. Follow the link above for the recipe for csipetke noodles.

beef cut into 2 x 2 cm cubes
I like cutting the beef into large chunks like this...I didn't mention it, but this is also what I did. Most recipes have chunks half this size, which I think contributes to a less juicy piece of beef. Great recipe, and incentive to visit Budapest some day!

I like cutting the beef into large chunks like this...I didn't mention it, but this is also what I did. Most recipes have chunks half this size, which I think contributes to a less juicy piece of beef. Great recipe, and incentive to visit Budapest some day!
I got mine from the local "proper" butchers (the other one only sells pre-packed stuff) and told him what size chunks I wanted. Bearing in mind that there was no fat whatsoever on the piece of meat, it did not shrink at all.

I think green peppers are the best addition (not red). I am using green and possibly yellow.
I love green peppers, closely followed by red ones. I'm not so keen on yellow or orange peppers, although the mini ones from Riverford were nice. Supermarket ones don't seem to taste of anything to me.

Back
Top Bottom