Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:11 PM
Potato and Pea Curry: a classic Indian dish which has many variations.

20170704_174206.jpg

Ingredients: (Serves 2)
2 medium potatoes cubed
100g frozen peas
1 medium onion chopped
2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste (or 3 fat garlic cloves, minced and 1 thumb of ginger, grated).
2 heaped tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp mango powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp kalonji seeds (black onion seeds)
Ghee or oil for frying

Method
  1. Heat the oil or ghee in a large non-stick pan. Add the onions and cook very slowly on a low heat until they become golden brown and soft. This will take at least 15 mins.
  2. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a few more minutes. Add a little water if the mixture becomes dry.
  3. Add the tinned tomatoes, ground spices and potatoes to the onion mixture. Heat through and cook over a gentle heat for approximately 1 hr or until the potatoes are cooked through. Add a little water if the mixture becomes too dry.
  4. Add the peas and heat for a few minutes until the peas are defrosted and heated through.
  5. Add salt to taste and sprinkle with kalonji seeds

Last edited:
@morning glory

Fascinating profile .. Definitely have to go over to Le Boqueria Spice Kiosks and get some Indian Spices.

Have a lovely evening and weekend ..

Potato and Pea Curry: a classic Indian dish which has many variations.

View attachment 8920

Ingredients: (Serves 2)
2 medium pots cubed
100g frozen peas
1 medium onion chopped
2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste (or 3 fat garlic cloves, minced and 1 thumb of ginger, grated).
2 heaped tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp mango powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp kalonji seeds (black onion seeds)
Ghee or oil for frying

Method
  1. Heat the oil or ghee in a large non-stick pan. Add the onions and cook very slowly on a low heat until they become golden brown and soft. This will take at least 15 mins.
  2. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a few more minutes. Add a little water if the mixture becomes dry.
  3. Add the tinned tomatoes, ground spices and potatoes to the onion mixture. Heat through and cook over a gentle heat for approximately 1 hr or until the potatoes are cooked through. Add a little water if the mixture becomes too dry.
  4. Add the peas and heat for a few minutes until the peas are defrosted and heated through.
  5. Add salt to taste and sprinkle with kalonji seeds
Now what am I supposed to use to cube the pots?

Oh man, I love spud n pea curry.

This looks like something I'm going to try on my upcoming vacation.

Thanks, mornin'.

OK, thanks. I will check them out.

I'll probably try to make the one of which I have the easiest access to the ingredients.
I need to go buy another giant can of dolmas, giant bottle of kalamatas, and can of anchovies for my Greek salads, so a trip to an international market is in order.

Back
Top Bottom