The Alphabet Game: Dishes using Za'atar

Weet-bix (similar to Weetabix?) which is made by Sanitarium who also make a yeast spread. Sanitarium is a weird name for a food manufacturer! Does sanitarium mean the same in Australia as it does in UK @murphyscreek, @rascal, @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

View attachment 23404

I grew up near a place called Cooranbong where the Seventh Day Adventists had a large educational college called Avondale which was affiliated with Sanitarium food products. I don't think there was anything too sinister there, they were about health and wellbeing and their food range grew from that. But yeah, some of their religious beliefs could be considered a bit out there. These days, Avondale is considered pretty mainstream... well, as much as any non-secular institution can be considered mainstream.

As an aside, in primary school I use to swap my devon (now there's a food that should never have existed) sandwiches for one of the Adventist kid's vegemite and bean sprouts sandwiches. They were so tasty on the brown bread I was unfamiliar with back then. I was sworn to secrecy, as apparently he would have been in trouble if his parents found out.

Weetbix has been a staple of Aussie breakfasts for seemingly forever.

Last edited:
I grew up near a place called Cooranbong where the Seventh Day Adventists had a large educational college called Avondale which was affiliated with Sanitarium food products. I don't think there was anything too sinister there, they were about health and wellbeing and their food range grew from that. But yeah, some of their religious beliefs could be considered a bit out there. These days, Avondale is considered pretty mainstream... well, as much as any non-secular institution can be considered mainstream.

As an aside, in primary school I use to swap my devon (now there's a food that should never have existed) sandwiches for one of the Adventist kid's vegemite and bean sprouts sandwiches. They were so tasty on the brown bread I was unfamiliar with back then. I was sworn to secrecy, as apparently he would have been in trouble if his parents found out.

Same in nz mate.

Russ

Fascinating stuff. Here the word sanatorium has rather unpleasant connotations stemming from Victorian time - somewhere people got sent when very long-term sick. Often with conditions from which they did not recover (notably tuberculosis). The word was also used to describe some insane asylums. Sanitarium and sanatorium are variant spellings of the same thing.

XXXX Original Draught

q0504.jpg

Never heard of them - it seems they can be crayfish or...
Common yabby - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_yabby
Other names frequently used for Cherax destructor include the blue yabby or cyan yabby. Its common name of "yabby" is also applied to many other Australian Cherax species of crustacean (as well as to marine ghost shrimp of the infraorder Thalassinidea).

...what are the ones in the photo?

Never heard of them - it seems they can be crayfish or...

...what are the ones in the photo?

The caption just read they were from Western Australia, and because they're cooked it's a bit difficult to determine which species. I know that restaurants serve up a type called marron that come from WA and are bigger than the common yabby, so am guessing that's what are in this pic. Yabbies is more a generic term here covering any of the fresh water crayfish species.

Last edited:

Well done!

Now its time to choose another topic (should members still be interested!).

So far we have had:
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Vegetables
  • Spices
  • French
  • Mexican
  • Red food and drink
  • Desserts
  • Brands and manufacturers
  • White food and drink
  • Green vegetables
  • Italian food and drink
  • Bread
  • Potato types and dishes.
  • Fish and fish dishes
  • Indian dishes
  • Caribbean Food and Drink
  • Spanish food and drink
  • Cheeses
  • Sweets and Candies
  • Condiments
  • Cereals
  • South American Food and Drink.
  • Chilli Peppers and Salsas
  • British food and drink
  • Fruit
  • Scottish Food & Drink
  • Chinese food and ingredients
  • Scandinavian food and drink
  • Nuts
  • Eggs and dishes made from eggs
  • Korean food and drink
  • Culinary herbs
  • Jams
  • Russian food and drink.
  • Australian food and drink.
Suggestions anyone?

Soups, salads, desserts, appetizers. It would admittedly be easier than thinking of 26 different salads.

I suppose that is the problem - almost any veg or fruit (and a lot of meat and seafood) can be made into a salad Cold soup might prove impossible. Cold desserts? Seems quite easy too but maybe that doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom