Recipe American Biscuits

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
3:34 AM
These are just your common baking powder biscuits. Nothing fancy.
You will need
2 cups all-purpose flour (just your cheap white flour)
4 teaspoons baking powder (it helps to use a brand name not the store brand)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening (or butter or margarine or lard)(any solid fat)
2/3 cup milk (low fat, regular or dairy free)

Place dry ingredients in a bowl or the mixer bowl if using your stand mixer. Cut in the fat with a pastry blender, two forks, two knives until it resembles peas. (If using the stand mixer stir speed one minute, stop and scrape bowl). Add the milk and stir until well blended. (Stir speed until dough starts to cling to the blade). Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead about 20 seconds or until smooth. Pat or roll to 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thickness. Cut with a floured 2 inch (5 cm) round biscuit cutter. Place on greased baking sheets (or line baking sheets with parchment paper). Bake at 450°F (very hot oven) for 12 to 15 minutes.

*For flakier biscuits, fold the dough over on itself several times while kneading.

*To the Europeans, your flour may be different than ours. You may need to reduce the fat by 1/3.

Last edited:
See edit in the first post.
I learned that last night while reading My life in France by Julia Child.

Yes that was the edit. I hadn't thought flours could be so different.
Neither did I. But I don't understand why it would mean using less fat. Less liquid perhaps as flour can vary in terms of the amount it absorbs (even from one packet to another).

Neither did I. But I don't understand why it would mean using less fat. Less liquid perhaps as flour can vary in terms of the amount it absorbs (even from one packet to another).
Julia Child said the French flours are more full bodied than American flours. Her experiences proved that you needed to reduce the fat ratio.
Since she spent years in both America and Europe, I will default to her knowledge.

Though I think we can conclude that it is hard to make identical recipes across the world.
Hey can you link me a UK scone recipe? I want to see something.

This is the best one I know and the one I use. Note that he uses strong white bread flour. He says it improves structure. This recipe is probably not your average UK scone recipe - the 'chaffing' process is something I've not seen elsewhere. But this guy is a Master baker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_scones_70005

Here is another more basic standard recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/scones_1285
Thanks. Quickie math tells me that yes, Julia Child was correct and the fat does need reduced.

I think US flour is way more refined so it will have a longer shelf life.

Back
Top Bottom