American Cheese

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
7:17 AM
Here in America we have a cheese called American Cheese. It is pretty much processed cheese slices you use in sandwiches, or to make cheese sauce. I am not sure why it is called American Cheese however. Do you all from other countries have American Cheese, or is it Called something different?

Do you mean like Kraft Singles? If you do then I believe that the reason it's called "American Cheese" is because the law prevents it from being called simply "cheese". The method of making processed cheese differs so much from the traditional cheese-making ritual that laws state describing it as such is mis-labelling. It's the same reason why you get "cheese food slices" too.

I might be able to pick up some American Cheese at a few of my Supermarkets I don't prefer it. I only eat it if I travel and there is no more cheese to choose from. No disrespect to the American cheese:happy:. In my household an Anchor New Zealand Cheddar Vegetarian cheese is a staple. My sister and friends living abroad expect you to bring the regular version of this cheese whenever you are visiting them in the States.

Here in the UK, we'd probably call it "processed cheese". and distinguish it from "real cheese" - our native varieties, and those of Europe.

When I was in Australia it WAS actually called American cheese, lol. In Vietnam, we have kraft singles, but on the package it's called "cheddar cheese" or something similar, so...I'm not too sure...

Yes we also have cheese like that in Europe. However it's considered by most, myself included, inferior to real cheese and I really don't touch it unless it's an emergency... which for me means not having any other cheese to choose from.

Cheddar being sold as American cheese always makes me quietly chuckle,its sales are worth 1 billion pounds in the uk,and 1.5 million tons are sold in the US,and I go down to cheddar in Somerset uk and buy 2 truckles ,i hope it will never be like champagne and they say its got to be made in the cheddar region,
Cheddar must be one of the famous villages in the world,
but what the main of people call cheddar is nothing like the real truckle !!

Cheddar being sold as American cheese always makes me quietly chuckle,its sales are worth 1 billion pounds in the uk,and 1.5 million tons are sold in the US,and I go down to cheddar in Somerset uk and buy 2 truckles ,i hope it will never be like champagne and they say its got to be made in the cheddar region,
Cheddar must be one of the famous villages in the world,
but what the main of people call cheddar is nothing like the real truckle !!

I don't suppose most people who eat Cheddar cheese know where Cheddar is, or even that it's a place!

I don't suppose most people who eat Cheddar cheese know where Cheddar is, or even that it's a place!

I know it was one of those grin moments for me,New Zealand cheddar,but after seeing what they churn out at Davidstow factory in Camelford,tons of cheese some of it good some it for the mass super markets,i like the cheese from the place not in the style

I am talking about Kraft Singles, or the like.

It is considered to be bad cheese here in the US too, and the only thing I really eat it on is melted on hashbrowns. For some reason, I really like the stuff when it is melted on my hasbrowns. I always thought it was American cheese because we were the only ones crazy enough to actually buy the stuff and eat it!

Back
Top Bottom