Pancakes
1-1/ 4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons double acting baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg beaten
1 1/3 cups milk
3 tablespoons oil

In a large bowl, mix first 4 ingredients. Add the egg, milk and oil. Stir until blended.
Heat a skillet or griddle over medium high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Oil lightly. Pour 1/4 cup of butter on to the skillet. You can make more than one at a time. Cook until bubbles form and burst. Turn over and cook other side until golden brown.

Feel free to let me know if anything needs translated.

It is corn starch, Sodium bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate and Monocalcium Phosphate.
The double acting just means it reacts both when mixed and during the baking process.
If you can't find self raising flour, what do you use for scones and biscuits (UK)?

Baking Powder (bicarbonate of soda) - we don't have something called 'double action'.
Can you look on a tin and see if there is anything else in your baking powder because you just described our baking soda?
Or have we run across another something that needs on the UK/US translation list?

Can you look on a tin and see if there is anything else in your baking powder because you just described our baking soda?
Or have we run across another something that needs on the UK/US translation list?

Raising Agents: E450 Diphosphates, E500 Sodium Carbonates, Maize Starch

Far as I can see your double action is another name for our Baking Powder. Baking Soda is the Bicarbonate of Soda without the addition of an acid. I think that is why your Baking Powder is called double action (it combines the soda and the acid)

Wiki:
Baking powder is a raising agent that is commonly used in cake-making. It is made from an alkali, bicarbonate of soda, and an acid, cream of tartar, plus a filler like cornflour or rice flour which absorbs moisture.

The powder is activated when liquid is added, producing carbon dioxide and forming bubbles that cause the mixture to expand. For this reason, it is important to get your cake mixture into the oven quickly once the 'wet' ingredients have been added to the 'dry' ingredients.

Self-raising flour is made from plain flour combined with a small amount of baking powder.

My Grannie always taught me that if I didn't have (or simply that I didn't need) baking powder if I had both Bicarb of Soda and Cream of Tartar. you just used both with a 2:1 ratio (I think in the Bicarb of Soda (2) : Cream of Tartar (1) direction).

My Grannie always taught me that if I didn't have (or simply that I didn't need) baking powder if I had both Bicarb of Soda and Cream of Tartar. you just used both with a 2:1 ratio (I think in the Bicarb of Soda (2) : Cream of Tartar (1) direction).

That's right. The Cream of Tartar is the acid in the mix I think.

I do believe you are right.

It is nice to see baking powder is baking powder across the world.

Hummm

The back of my Cream of Tartar packet (OK this is an Australian packet) says to use 1 cup of plain flour, 1 tsp of cream of tartar and 1/2 tsp Bicarb of Soda to make 1 cup of self raising flour.

The Baking powder packet on the other hand says to comping 2 tsp of baking powder with 1 cup of plain to get 1 cup of self raising flour (guess that's the rice flour they add to is).

The BBC Good Food site concurs (https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/baking-powder)

To make baking powder, combine half a teaspoon of cream of tartar and quarter of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. This provides the equivalent of one teaspoon of baking powder.

To make self-raising flour add one teaspoon (or equivalent homemade) to 110g of plain flour.

Back
Top Bottom