Recipe An easy campfire dessert

LoveSantaAu

Veteran
Local time
12:04 AM
Website
www.lovesanta.com.au
I've done this a couple of times and it's really easy - my daughter even did it in our open fire at home one time!

Cut a small slice off the top of about 8 oranges (maybe a 1/5th of the way down) then scoop out all the flesh.

Mix up a batch of packet cake mix (you can of course use a recipe and do it from scratch but that is more complicated when you're out camping! Maybe mix the dry ingredients at home to make your own packet mix.) I like using a chocolate mix as choc-orange is one of my favourite flavour combinations.

Pour cake into the orange cups until they are 3/4 full. Put the top back on the orange then wrap it all in foil.

Sit the foil wrapped orange in the coals and leave for 15 - 20 minutes. Pull out of the coals and eat straight from the orange!

This looks like a great idea.It must give the cake a nice orange taste. I do hope that after removing fruity part of the orange that this is also put to use. It could be used to make a salad, a smoothie or a fruit punch.

Wait, you don't have to add anything like water to the orange or anything? If you do that, does the cake come out drier than a usual cake or is it still a moist-type cake? Is it the orange juice moistening it if so?

I am assuming you have mixed water into the batter? You don't say anything about that, but then you say it has an orange-chocolate taste, so are you using juice in the mix? Putting the orange peels directly on coals doesn't singe them? I could see placing them on a rack close to the coals, but I am not so sure about direct. Either way, I think it is a neat little project that I might try with the kids this summer. It sounds like something they would like.

I would assume that you make up the packet mix according to the instructions, so water would probably be added. The orange shells wouldn't singe because you wrap them in foil before putting them on the fire. Sounds like a great idea though, I never thought about making dessert on the campfire - we usually just bring chocolate bars and marshmallows to toast.

Back
Top Bottom