Recipe Andouille Sausage

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:32 PM
We used to do this with a KitchenAid grinder/stuffer attachment before we got the LEM grinder and 5# stuffer.

Ingredients
1 boneless pork butt, about 5 pounds, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup Rustic Rub
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons file powder(optional) We don't use it.

Directions
1) In a mixing bowl, toss the pork with the remaining ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. 2) Prepare the smoker (200-225 F).
3) Remove meat from the refrigerator and pass through a meat grinder with a 1/2-inch die attachment.
4) Remove half of the meat and pass through the grinder a second time.
5) Stuff the sausage into 1 1/2-inch casings (hog).
6) Tie the casings at 4-inch intervals for individual links (we don't tie the casings, we just twist them after each link as it comes out of the machine).
7) Place the casings and patties in the smoker and smoke for 25 to 30 minutes.
8) Remove from the smoker and cool.

Rustic Rub
Ingredients

8 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cayenne
5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
6 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

Instructions
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend well. Can be stored in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.

andouille1 11-27-2016.jpg

Last edited:
Much as I'd love to do this its unlikely to happen. I don't have a mincer or a smoking cabinet (I do have a smoke gun). My foray into home-made sausage making was not entirely successful (Sausages was the subject of a Cookalong here). Just pop some in the post to me @CraigC !

G has an electric smoker. One of his toys. Pecan is probably our favorite. Also like apple and cherry. Sometimes Hickory. Hate Mesquite.
Baby Brother has an off set smoker that he works magic with.

G has an electric smoker. One of his toys. Pecan is probably our favorite. Also like apple and cherry. Sometimes Hickory. Hate Mesquite.
Baby Brother has an off set smoker that he works magic with.

I think you will find that mesquite is used mostly for hot and fast grilling. Texan Q'ers mostly use post oak for their pits, maybe mixed with hickory.

@CraigC There is something about the flavor Mesquite imparts that I find off putting. Just me. I find it has a petroleum after taste. Some people find Cilantro off putting - a soapy after taste .

@CraigC There is something about the flavor Mesquite imparts that I find off putting. Just me. I find it has a petroleum after taste. Some people find Cilantro off putting - a soapy after taste .

I've used it for grilling steaks. The fire is hot without smoke. The mesquite smoke is a turn off for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom