Andrew Cuomo

indianwells

Local time
2:22 PM
Not my business as I am from the UK but I have heard him speak a lot recently and am very impressed. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran for President, and if so he would have a great chance. If I was a US citizen I would definitely vote for him. Hope I haven't opened a big 'ol can of worms!

If I was a US citizen I would definitely vote for him. Hope I haven't opened a big 'ol can of worms!

As long as we keep things polite then its OK to touch on politics. We all have different views here (inevitably) and we aim to be a tolerant community. The problem with threads like this is that some may feel very strongly either way, so that insults and mud can quickly start flying. Most members come here to talk about food and cooking and don't necessarily want to discuss politics. But one could argue of course that food and food production is political - how its grown and produced, the government policy on farming, green issues etc.

Here is an example of difference: I'm personally impressed by the New Zealand Prime Minister and her actions (not only with regard to the virus). But I know that rascal (who lives in New Zealand feels differently). We agree to differ.

So please folks, if you want to talk about politics - keep it low key, civil and polite and realise we are a diverse community who are brought together by a love of food and cooking rather than shared views about politics, religion etc.

Last edited:
From a long distance, admittedly, I'd always thought Cuomo something of a career politician with no real convictions. But I'd have to say he has been positively statesmanlike in the last few months. Calm, rational and sensible is the least you'd want and, as far as I can see, he's fitted those criteria. And I don't think one would apply those adjectives to certain world leaders we could name.

Personally, this is a cooking site and politics really has no place here,IMO.
I do agree with this completely, however it affects us all, so I feel it is worth mentioning, in the appropriate sub-forum of course. We can talk about cooking all day, and I am more than happy to do so but I am sure you will agree, there are other things in life which most certainly will affect each and everyone one of us.

I can generally tell from one post where a person stands politically, if they have a strong partisan preference.

If someone posts something about a hot-button issue like, being in favor of more gun control (at least in the US), and someone else says a food forum is no place for politics, I know where both of them stand on gun control.

There is an instinct for a lot of people to say "this is no place to discuss anything I don't want to discuss." Instead of a discussion, you get anger and hurt feelings.

So, I tend to assume that a civil political discussion on the internet just isn't going to happen.

CD

There are interesting individual actions that speak of the person rather than the party. Yesterday Pence chose to tour a hospital without a mask whilst the rules of the building and the actions of everyone else said the opposite. We all felt contempt, ridicule and revulsion at that, and that is about him and not his party. If this had happened five years ago and Biden had shown the same elitist arrogance then my loathing would have been the same.

This global crisis has exposed the lack of preparedness of us all regardless of whether we are left wing, right wing or centralist as most Governments have failed. However it has laid bare the moral and humanitarian standing of all our leaders, we have seen who has risen to the challenge with honesty and humility and who has covered their backside.

If you are communist, fascist or somewhere in the middle judge if your choice of leader is really telling the truth and living up to their rhetoric.

Still talking of food, the only experience our pm has in the real world was she worked in a fish n chip,shop. It's true.

Russ

Still talking of food, the only experience our pm has in the real world was she worked in a fish n chip,shop. It's true.

Russ
I've never understood this whole "real world" angle. There's one world, we all live in it. If my experience is digging ditches and the next person's experience is counting beans, and the next person's is working in a chip shop or a lawyers office, it's all the "real world." It's just different experience. Who gets to say what's "real world" and what's not? Let me guess...people who live in the "real world." :)

We get that here all the time with some segments of the US labeled as "real Americans," versus...people who live in Hollywood? New York City? "Real Americans" live in between the coasts, apparently, and all the folks on the Eastern seaboard and out in Cali are somehow...not real?

That just keeps people divided.

I've never understood this whole "real world" angle. There's one world, we all live in it. If my experience is digging ditches and the next person's experience is counting beans, and the next person's is working in a chip shop or a lawyers office, it's all the "real world." It's just different experience. Who gets to say what's "real world" and what's not? Let me guess...people who live in the "real world." :)

We get that here all the time with some segments of the US labeled as "real Americans," versus...people who live in Hollywood? New York City? "Real Americans" live in between the coasts, apparently, and all the folks on the Eastern seaboard and out in Cali are somehow...not real?

That just keeps people divided.
She is a career politician, worked for all UN affiliated jobs as well. Her aim is the same as her hero ex pm of nz Helen Clark. The UN .most of our labour pollys have never worked in their lives.

Russ

She is a career politician, worked for all UN affiliated jobs as well. Her aim is the same as her hero ex pm of nz Helen Clark. The UN .most of our labour pollys have never worked in their lives.

Russ
That's still part of the real world. She doesn't live and work in some other dimension. That's my point. Whether you're a truck driver or an actor or a child minder or a politician, your particular experience is still valid for what it is.

I'd think, as a career politician, she's perfectly suited to be PM. One of these days, you might get one with no political experience... :whistling: :)

That's still part of the real world. She doesn't live and work in some other dimension. That's my point. Whether you're a truck driver or an actor or a child minder or a politician, your particular experience is still valid for what it is.

I'd think, as a career politician, she's perfectly suited to be PM. One of these days, you might get one with no political experience... :whistling: :)
We have that now, she admitted she didn't know a lot (very inexperienced) but has the job by default. Three other leaders in 18 months was a disaster, then came along the princess.

Rus

Back
Top Bottom