Recipe Antonio Carluccio´s Carbonara (Egg & Guanciale )

Francesca

Local time
3:16 PM
AAFRANCESCACARBONARASALADACARLUCCIO20171119_142011 (1).jpg

As most of you already are aware, that Chef Antonio Carluccio, best known for his B.B.C. Tv Series, Two Greedy Italians had died on November 8th, 2017. Being a grand enthusiast of all his books and Dvds which we own, I had decided to prepare his renowned Carbonara, however, I subbed " Iberian Jabugo Ham " from Jabugo, Huelva as it is a Sunday. ( I do not eat bacon, so I could not sub this product, however, panceta or bacon also work well as subs .. )

Here is a terrific tiny récipe which works fabulously with linguini or spaghetti or tagliatelli too .. And a quick salad which I served with it ..

Ingredients for 2:

220 Grams of pasta of choice ( I prepared with freshly made Goat cheese stuffed Ravioli )
25 grams of Cheek of porc ( Guanciale ), or bacon, or panceta, or Proscuitto or Iberian Black foot acorn fed ham .. Dice into tiny cubes or tiny strips.
2 Tablesp. Bio Italian Evoo
2 extra large non transgenetic eggs
50 grams of Aged Reggiano Parmesan or Pecorino Sardo
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt ( use cautions ) to taste

1) Cook the pasta in a large stock pot of boiling salted wáter until al dente or to your own taste.
2) Heat the Evoo in a sauté-ing skillet and sauté the ham or bacon or the guanciale porc cheek until crisp.
3) Lightly beat the eggs in a large glass bowl and add the grated cheese and black pepper ..
4) When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the sauté skillet and combine with the porc. Then mix well to coat and remove from flame ..
5) Allow to cool slightly, and then add the cheese & egg mixture and toss gently ..
6) Serve immediately with a White wine of choice .. We had a bottle of Prosecco .. And an Endive, red blueberry, chickpea, mozzarella di bufala, walnut and pear salad with a light Bio Evoo from Italy & Champagne vinerar ..

AAFRANCESCARAVIOLICARLUCCIO20171119_142113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very sad that he is gone. I am a great fan and saw him making Carbonara on TV recently (it features in the Two Greedy Italians series, I think).

@morning glory

Yes, unfortunately .. I understand he fell at his home .. I have not seen any further reports in the Guardian yet .. Terrible .. What a grand gentleman he was ..

Surprisingly lovely .. To use up some ingredients as tomorrow is Monday and we usually eat at our Office ..

2 Endives, 1 small chunk of Italian fresh mozzarella di bufala, 2 tablesps of chick peas, 1 tiny red onion, a handful red blue berries, a handful of Bio walnuts, a large pear called Conferencia here, Spanish Bio Evoo and Champagne Vinegar and a squirt of fresh lemon .. a pinch of salt & a pinch of dry dill and that is it ..

Last edited:
@morning glory
2 Endives, 1 small chunk of Italian fresh mozzarella di bufala, 2 tablesps of chick peas, 1 tiny red onion, a handful red blue berries, a handful of Bio walnuts, a large pear called Conferencia here, Spanish Bio Evoo and Champagne Vinegar and a squirt of fresh lemon .. a pinch of salt & a pinch of dry dill and that is it ..

I love endives - the bitter taste is a great contrast to pear and berries. Nice!

I like the sound of this but I shall have to substitute the Parmesan and use bacon. Also, I have no idea what the villagers will make of "non transgenic eggs"

I love endives - the bitter taste is a great contrast to pear and berries. Nice!

@morning glory

It was to use up some ingredients as we are flying to Madrid for 1 week to work on the incoming Travel Tourism Convention to be held January 2018. It was quite lovely actually ..

We are big fans of endives and I also use with Fresh Pomegrante Seeds too .. Very popular here ..

Have a nice day ..

I like the sound of this but I shall have to substitute the Parmesan and use bacon. Also, I have no idea what the villagers will make of "non transgenic eggs"

@Yorky,

A grated cured or aged grated cheese shall work with this but of course it will not be a classic Carbonara .. Bacon is the actual ingredient however, I use Iberian acorn fed Ham as I do not eat bacon .. And it was a quick meal as we were driving up to my parents and inlaws to bring them plants ..

We do not use Genetically Modified Foods ( Gmos = Transgenetic ) ..

Thanks and have a lovely day ..

I tried it today (and it was very good, although a little rich for me).

Because of a lack of ingredients it was substantially different to your authentic dish but this is how I did it.

I used cooked sliced ham fried in a little olive oil in a wok. The duck eggs were mixed in a bowl and aged chopped Cheddar cheese added with black pepper and a little salt. I then processed the result in my mini mixer:

I added the cooked (6 minutes) and drained pasta (fusilli) to the wok and mixed on a very low heat. Leaving the heat very low, I added the egg/cheese mixture and simmered for almost 2 minutes stirring continuously.

fuselli cabonara 2 s.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom