Any foods to avoid for migraine sufferers?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
12:08 AM
A family member has recently been told by their doctor that the terrible headaches, sensitivity to light, nausea, and general malaise are symptoms of migraine and that diet can help in controlling it - i.e. avoiding certain trigger foods.

Are there any foods that are definitely associated with bringing on migraines or is it just a case of experimenting to see what she is sensitive to and what is okay?

I'm not sure about what causes migraines, but I've heard from many sufferers that strong, black coffee can help to alleviate the pain.

@ChowDownBob,

Definitely Affiliated & Are No No´s :

Cafeffine
White Sugar
Chocolate
Coca Cola
Sodas
Industrial foods loaden with chemicals

Lactose or wheat can also have a negative effect on some ..

My advice would be to see an Allergist / Nutritionist and have some tests done on allergens.

Speedy recovery wishes.

I have always heard caffeine helps with migraines. One lady I know got a caffeine IV for a migraine. That was obviously doctor ordered.
Then why does nearly every prescription (doctor ordered) for a migraine have caffeine in them?
It may be different in Spain, but here caffeine is a cure.
I want a link to where you got that list.

I advise the OP not ask on a cooking forum. We are not medical doctors. We are not nurses.
Any advice on medical conditions should be taken with a grain of salt although I think in the case of migraines salt is not recommended.

The thing with migraines is they have numerous triggers. My first question would be do they typically hit at one time of the month. Some are hormone related. If the answer is yes, then your friend needs to talk to her gynecologist. If no and they are severe then she needs to see a regular doctor. Are they seasonal? Does she get plenty of water?
In the meantime, avoid nuts, shellfish, cut down on salt and if she drinks only cokes, teas or coffee, substituting water for at least half of them might help. Sometimes artificial colorings have been known to cause problems.
And by all means if a migraine comes on after eating a food, put it on the no list.

But do have her talk to a doctor if they are severe.

@Cinisajoy

Firstly, there is no link. I have a colleague who suffered from Migraines and she had told me the information, I posted above.

Since, she stopped having cafeffine, and that ingredient is in coffee, chocolate, Coca Cola, other sodas, tea and millions of other things, her headaches miraculously stopped.

She was medically treated by a Dietician / Nutritionist and Allergist at the Main Hospital in Barcelona.

And if you notice, I suggested to this person that they see a Nutritionist Allergist and have their allergies tested.

Migraines can also be "genetically related to heredity " ..

Have a nice day.

The 'gold standard' treatment for migraine (according to my doctor) is ibuprofen and caffeine or paracetamol and caffeine.

My daughter thinks that artificial sweeteners in drinks trigger her migraine. There are a multitude of possible triggers which probably differ from person to person. I get migraine too and can find no trigger at all. I do find that caffeine helps a bit.

The 'classic' foods which are meant to cause migraine are chocolate and cheese. But I'm not sure there is any hard evidence.

Last edited:
Caffeine - could be both @Francesca and @Cinisajoy are correct:

People with sensitivity to caffeine can develop migraines after drinking coffee, black tea, green tea, cola soft drinks, or other caffeinated beverages. But caffeine can also be used to stop a migraine that is just beginning — that’s why many over-the-counter migraine medications contain caffeine. Test your personal response to caffeine: If it gives you headaches, avoid it.
http://www.joybauer.com/photo-gallery/common-trigger-foods/caffeine/

And here from the Migraine Trust - research based evidence:
Another popular myth suggests that chocolate can trigger migraine. The evidence does not support this. The myth may have arisen because of cravings which can form part of the prodrome or premonitory phase of migraine, so when the chocolate is eaten during this phase the migraine has actually already begun.
In conclusion, there is no migraine diet but it is clear that missing meals is a well established migraine trigger so eating a healthy diet at regular mealtimes is advisable. If you are concerned about gluten sensitivity or a specific food allergy it is advisable to consult with your GP.

https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/food-diet/

And here from the Migraine Trust - research based evidence:

https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/food-diet/

@morning glory

Pure Cacao or Black Chocolate has an enormous amount of cafeffine. It is a stimulant. And can trigger migraines in some people.

I agree that one should definitely see a Dietician / Nutritionist / Allergist and have their allergies, checked and documented .. Then, one shall know what is causing their issues ..

Have a lovely day.

The 'gold standard' treatment for migraine (according to my doctor) is ibuprofen and caffeine or paracetamol and caffeine.

My daughter thinks that artificial sweeteners in drinks trigger her migraine. There are a multitude of possible triggers which probably differ from person to person. I get migraine too and can find no trigger at all. I do find that caffeine helps a bit.

The 'classic' foods which are meant to cause migraine are chocolate and cheese. But I'm not sure there is any hard evidence.
Just want to clarify: paracetamol is commonly known in the US as Tylenol or Acetaminophen.
Thanks MG, I used to get migraines once in a while though never bad.

Orange juice for me. May just be a coincidence but on the rare occasions I drink juice I normally have a migraine within a few hours. Now that I've realised that I don't drink it - thankfully apple juice does not have the same effect.

@morning glory

Pure Cacao or Black Chocolate has an enormous amount of cafeffine. It is a stimulant. And can trigger migraines in some people.

I use pure cacao every day. It has very little caffeine (or salt, for that matter) because you only need about a tablespoon of the powder to make a drink. It has less caffeine in it than decaf tea or coffee, and is the only thing I have found that actually helps me overcome my sleep problems. Cocoa and drinking chocolate, on the other hand, have several other ingredients in them.

On the other hand, a Sri Lankan consultant/GP I used for work for suffered from terrible migraines. She used to drink traditional Kiri Tee (tea made with boiled milk instead of water) to alleviate it. I started drinking it , as the office where we worked in the hospital had very little ventilation, and I used to get headaches (but not migraine).

Caffeine: Coffee, Coca Cola, Chocolate & Tea or any other product containing high amounts of caffeine .. Industrial products that are " transgenetics " or Genetically Modified.

This information was told to me by a contact of mine who suffered for quite a long time with migraines and she finally listened to me and went to have her allergies tested by a well known (in this field ) Nutritionist Allergist.

Caffeine: Coffee, Coca Cola, Chocolate & Tea or any other product containing high amounts of caffeine .. Industrial products that are " transgenetics " or Genetically Modified.

The cacao I use is very similar to the unsweetened chocolate shown in the table on this site http://www.cacaoweb.net/nutrition.html. It has absolutely no additives in it, neither is it GMO. If you look further down, you will see that it contains very little caffeine. Another site states that "Contrary to popular opinion, cacao is a poor source of caffeine. A typical sample of cacao nibs or cacao beans will yield anywhere from zero caffeine to 1,000 parts per million of caffeine (less than 1/20th of the caffeine present in coffee)."

These comments are in line with the information given in the university courses of nutrition which I did via Reading University.

@Elawin

I was referring to the industrial garbage that is produced by companies like Nestles etcetra ..

I have a friend in Peru who sends us some cacao beans every year .. We chip the cacao bean´s chocolate bits on a scale ..

It is really subjective and objective as one may have a million other allergies stimulating migraines and each individual is so different .. It could range from dietary, stress, genetics, visión, ears, teeth etcetra too .. Medicines, chemicals and even misery & Psychological ..

Have a nice day .. Thanks for the link .. Will read when I get home as I am on road headed to Barcelona ..

Back
Top Bottom