Anybody still use lard ?

When I was a kid our fridge ALWAYS contained at least one block of lard as well as the chip pan full of lard too, vegetable oil was for posh people. I remember my mother used to take a scoop/scrape of cold lard from the chip pan to add to a frying pan. Those were the days, everyone used lard AND chip pans;- If the cholesterol didn't get you the pan fires would!
I would heat the chip pan with lard when I was at school, I can remember the oil was always removed from the pan and I would stand the bowl in hot water to loosen it first, would you let kids heat one now?

I didn't realise it was a local speciality. We used to get it a lot when I was a kid. But I grew up in Portsmouth which is nearer your way.
Pompey girl hey!
Lardy is a Southern speciality as on the wiki link list , but Wiltshire is famous for its pigs, and pig products, and is made in the rural bakers in the old Fashioned way

Pompey girl hey!
Lardy is a Southern speciality as on the wiki link list , but Wiltshire is famous for its pigs, and pig products, and is made in the rural bakers in the old Fashioned way
Yep! A Pompey girl indeed. My Mum was from Portsmouth, Dad from Witshire. And what wonderful accents they both had. Sadly, mine has been ironed out. I probably talk estuary English - although I have a few odd pronunciations according to some. My Dad always pronounced the thing you put flowers in (spelt 'vase') as a 'vause' rather than 'vars'. I still say that sometimes and people look strangely at me...

Lardy cake is a lovely thing and I have fond memories of scoffing it for tea! It was my Dad who was keen (I remember now!).

Yep! A Pompey girl indeed. My Mum was from Portsmouth, Dad from Witshire. And what wonderful accents they both had. Sadly, mine has been ironed out. I probably talk estuary English - although I have a few odd pronunciations according to some. My Dad always pronounced the thing you put flowers in (spelt 'vase') as a 'vause' rather than 'vars'. I still say that sometimes and people look strangely at me...

Lardy cake is a lovely thing and I have fond memories of scoffing it for tea! It was my Dad who was keen (I remember now!).
North Wiltshire accents tend to be the real strong ,ooh are,I've got 20 acres,known as Moonrakers
I live literally on the border of Hampshire little regional dialect twangs round here,but Pompey does have a deffinant accent ,I have a large section of my family living down there from gosport across to Havant and they have a real accent

North Wiltshire accents tend to be the real strong ,ooh are,I've got 20 acres,known as Moonrakers
I live literally on the border of Hampshire little regional dialect twangs round here,but Pompey does have a deffinant accent ,I have a large section of my family living down there from gosport across to Havant and they have a real accent
I grew up on a little council estate in Farlington which is very near Havant!

Back
Top Bottom