Anyone for mangoes?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
2:48 PM
Mangoes are in season.

We have our own tree. Yesterday a neighbour delivered a bag, the fat lady from the restaurant delivered a bag, a mate from the snooker delivered a bag, and last night a friend of my wife delivered a box.

I counted 28 in total!

Any suggestions?

mangoes s.jpg

mangoes 2 s.jpg

I love mangoes but you know, as far as savoury dishes go I think they are quite difficult - mainly because they have such a distinctive aromatic sweet taste. Like @detroitdad, salsa was the first thing I thought of and there are probably many ways of making mango salsas. Chillies are good to provide a balance to the sweet mango. But.... you probably only want to eat so much salsa!

There is a dish which is called Mango Chicken Curry - but I find that far too sweet for my taste.

You could make some mango chutney or pickle with some of them to go with curries or have with roast meats.

I would make mango sorbet and mango chutney/pickle, I think. With some fresh mango a seafood salad - prawns, mango, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, etc.

Last edited:
I just like them as they are. I buy mango chutney, but I'm much too indolent to make it.

Old joke: we got lucky on a trip to France the other day. The greengrocer's was almost out of stock, but we managed to get...
The Last Mango in Paris.

I've researched recipes for mango chutney and have yet to find one that doesn't include 1/2 kg sugar. I shall persevere.

LOL, you reckon? :hug:

Well, sheee-yit! Boy-howdy. You struck mango-ld.

Julienne some of them wet behind the ears (unripe) for a rice vinegar and herb salad to go on top of fried fish.

Or, some of them ripened ones to be sliced and served over sticky rice with a sweet coconut sauce.

Then you can use the coconuts to make horse clopping sounds...

shing, shing, shing, ( the sound of spurs)
ooh wee ooh wee ooooh,
wah wah waaaah. (spaghetti western theme music)

and yes, there's always salsa. I like to add fresh radishes to my mango salsa instead of hot peppers for a different kind of peppery taste that doesn't overtake the mango.

I've researched recipes for mango chutney and have yet to find one that doesn't include 1/2 kg sugar. I shall persevere.

You could just reduce the amount of sugar - do you have any Madhur Jaffrey Mango chutney recipes? I can have a look at my MJ books...

Until last year, I would not eat mangos. I had tried them as a kid and the variety I tried was referred to as "turpentine" mango. Last year a buddy's father gave me some from his tree. I gave them a try as the skins were all yellow. They were good. I found out later that they are called "Honey Bell" mangos.

Back
Top Bottom