Anyone for mangoes?

Apparently hing is used for a medicinal rub and may be given to babies in diluted liquid form to cure indigestion.

CAAOAAIAAAO_02_4.png

Can you buy some? If babies can have it then it should be OK in your pickle!

Can you buy some? If babies can have it then it should be OK in your pickle!

Yes, I could buy some from the chemist but it will be in liquid form. After 7 days of moving the bloody mangoes around the garden into the sun every few hours I'm not going to risk spoiling the result with some hing body lotion! I shall leave it out.

Yes, I could buy some from the chemist but it will be in liquid form. After 7 days of moving the bloody mangoes around the garden into the sun every few hours I'm not going to risk spoiling the result with some hing body lotion! I shall leave it out.
:laugh:

On Tuesday my mangoes will be seasoned (I hope). Very little sun here today although temperatures still reached 36 degC

I shall guarantee that mine will be nowhere near as sweet as yours.

Maybe not as good though.

I can guarantee that mine isn't sweet. I'll try to remember exactly what I did - but I used only 1 tsp sugar. Its very spicy and hot and tastes sour rather than sweet.

@Yorky - it is worth searching for mango pickle rather than chutney if you want something with less or no sugar. Here is one I found which looks to me to be good. No sugar at all!

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Mango-Pickle-the-South-Indian-Way/

My "seasoned" mango is virtually ready for the subsequent process. However, liquid has accumulated from the seasoning but the recipe doesn't address this. Do you think I should just pour the lot in for frying or drain the liquid off first?

Edit: current state:

Seasoned 1 s.jpg

Last edited:
Drain and pat dry - I say this because if you look at the step by step photos below, this is the point where the mango is added to the pan. Firstly they don't appear to have any liquid. Secondly it wouldn't be a good idea to pour all that liquid into hot fat. Thirdly the appearance of the finished pickle is quite dry - certainly not swimming in liquid.

This is the point where the mango is added:
  • Heat a frying pan over medium fire
  • Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to the pan. We usually prefer Sesame oil for pickling.
  • When the oil is heated, add a teaspoon of mustard seeds.
  • When mustard seeds start to crack, add the seasoned mango pieces to the oil
  • Use a ladle to turn over the mango pieces till all the pieces are properly covered with oil.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.46.01.png

Finished pickle:

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.50.45.png

Back
Top Bottom