Anyone have a good crumpet recipe?

pinkcherrychef

Local time
3:22 PM
I use to read in books all the time about crumpets and hear them in BBC shows and movies. I always assumed they were scones, biscuit(American not British), or like a cookie. I found out they're a griddle cake. Somewhat like the American pancake.

Ever since I've been reading the secret garden I've been wanting to try them. They sounded so delicious when the book said Mary and her friends were enjoying tea time with cookies and crumpets. So yesterday I declared that I'm making some this weekend.

Here's the thing though I have know idea about them except for the name and that they're European. I've heard people mention making crumpets on here before so I know someone is educated in the art of crumpet making. If they would be so kind as to educate me on the art of crumpet making and maybe refer me to recipe or share a recipe of their own with me. If thats okay I mean I can always google but I thought I would try and get someone personal advice first.

You can find a recipe for anything online but it's not always correct or has all the details. Which is why I thought it would be best to ask here first. Thank you ahead time and sorry to trouble you ^-^

I think this is what you mean:

Unknown-193.jpg

They are different from pancakes in that they have lots of tiny holes formed by the rising action. Their delight is the way that butter soaks into the holes when the crumpets are toasted. In the UK they are on sale in all supermarkets in packets - ready-made so that you can toast them at home. I have to confess I've never made them but I would 100% trust this recipe from Paul Hollywood who is a British master baker: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/crumpets_61013

If I get time I will attempt to make some!

I've never made crumpets, but I have made pikelets which are very similar (and easier to make). The difference between a pikelet and a crumpet is that a pikelet is cooked free-form in the pan/on the griddle whereas a crumpet needs to be cooked in a ring (to form the characteristic straight side).

In this picture the crumpets are on the left and the pikelets are on the right:
img_0302_1.jpg

This is the pikelet recipe I use - its very easy and makes approx 16 pikelets. See here: Pikelets

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 12972

They are different from pancakes in that they have lots of tiny holes formed by the rising action. Their delight is the way that butter soaks into the holes when the crumpets are toasted. In the UK they are on sale in all supermarkets in packets - ready-made so that you can toast them at home. I have to confess I've never made them but I would 100% trust this recipe from Paul Hollywood who is a British master baker: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/crumpets_61013

Yes those are what I meant and I know there not pancakes. I just was rading about them and the website said they were a bit similar but not the same thing. Thank you for the advice and help :)

I've never made crumpets, but I have made pikelets which are very similar (and easier to make). The difference between a pikelet and a crumpet is that a pikelet is cooked free-form in the pan/on the griddle whereas a crumpet needs to be cooked in a ring (to form the characteristic straight side).

In this picture the crumpets are on the left and the pikelets are on the right:
img_0302_1.jpg

This is the pikelet recipe I use - its very easy and makes approx 16 pikelets. See here: Pikelets
Yum they look very good I'll make sure to try this out. I think I might just make these first since there easier and I don't have a ring to cook the crumpets in. Thank you so much.

They are lovely - typically eaten for breakfast or at tea* time with lashings of butter (definitely not diet-friendly!)

* for the non-Brits, tea here refers to a late afternoon/early evening meal (sometimes called high tea), generally eaten when you've had your main dinner at midday. Not to be confused with afternoon tea (the posh one with dainty sandwiches, scones and cakes) or with tea the drink. :wink:

They are lovely - typically eaten for breakfast or at tea* time with lashings of butter (definitely not diet-friendly!)

* for the non-Brits, tea here refers to a late afternoon/early evening meal (sometimes called high tea), generally eaten when you've had your main dinner at midday. Not to be confused with afternoon tea (the posh one with dainty sandwiches, scones and cakes) or with tea the drink. :wink:
Not 'ere it ain't except for Sundays, but only after a roast dinner eaten at lunch time on my days off :laugh: Otherwise I have dinner any time up to about 1 a.m. - habit from working 7 days most weeks, sometimes till after midnight, until I had an office job.

View attachment 12972

I've had that recipe for ages, but never got round to making any. They shouldn't be that difficult to make, though. The ingredients aren't much unlike how I make pancakes, except for the addition of yeast and a little more liquid.

I've had that recipe for ages, but never got round to making any. They shouldn't be that difficult to make, though. The ingredients aren't much unlike how make pancakes, except for the addition of yeast and a little more liquid.
I agree not a lot of difference indeed. I'll be trying to make my abousolute favorite to English muffins <3. So not just crumpets. God willing they'll all turn out right.

Another thread that I missed. When I saw the title I looked up crumpets. Not what I imagined. Write that off to American ignorance of British tradition. :oops: Something to try. Bucket list. @pinkcherrychef did you make them and how did they turn out? What recipe did you use?

Another thread that I missed. When I saw the title I looked up crumpets. Not what I imagined. Write that off to American ignorance of British tradition. :oops: Something to try. Bucket list. @pinkcherrychef did you make them and how did they turn out? What recipe did you use?

I made them but it was a disaster. I should have photographed them anyway. I don't know what went wrong but they went 'rubbery' on the outside and squidgy raw in the middle and the holes weren't what they should be like. I tried the pan at different heats but it made no difference. The shop bought ones are very cheap to buy - I can't make them as cheaply! So its somewhat put me off trying again. Unless you know what went wrong then its a bit pointless to repeat the same mistake.

Back
Top Bottom