Appetisers and party food: Fun with Pâtés, Terrines, Tapanades, Hors d'oeuvres, et al ...

I'm getting confused here - there are so many things being included. :) Can you define the main theme? It obviously savoury - but apart from that, how are you defining this. Do you mean 'appetisers', perhaps? By which I mean, savoury dishes that you have in a buffet or before a main meal.

I wanted to look at these as appetizers, party foods and things that used a mixture of things to generate them. I guess I did get a bit off track on some of the things on the list like Roulades and Cordon Bleu. I'd probably be including sausages, if I kept going. Thanks for checking me on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to look at these appetizers, party foods and things that used a mixture of things to generate them. I guess I did get a bit off track on some of the things on the list like Roulades and Cordon Bleu. I'd probably be including sausages, if I kept going. Thanks for checking me on that.

OK - thanks for clarifying. Appetisers is probably the best 'hook'. Thread title slightly amended to make that clearer. Its a great thread BTW!

Last edited:
@flyinglentris

Yes, I am aware of the two soy products that you mentioned and the answer is still no !

I find the product in all its forms (soy) distasteful and I am not Vegan or Vegetarian though I am veered toward being a Pescatarian, I do eat meat once a week or every two weeks ..

I use Bio 100% Soy Sauce from Japan for my Nigriri ..

I have never seen Tofu in a Japanese Restaurant in Japan or here in Barcelona, though I know some Chinese Restaurant Menus do list it under Vegetarian Dishes in Spain ..

Have a lovely day and enjoy the Tapas récipes ..

IMG_2034.JPG

This counts as tapas in our house. Pre-lunch today, pickled gherkins, walnuts and borettani onions, dried figs, local salami, Stilton cheese and home-made chutney. And a bottle of Prosecco.:hungry:

View attachment 12879
This counts as tapas in our house. Pre-lunch today, pickled gherkins, walnuts and borettani onions, dried figs, local salami, Stilton cheese and home-made chutney. And a bottle of Prosecco.:hungry:

@epicuric

The slate board has international appetisers on it .. ( Interesting .. ) ..

This is not done in Spain ..

Tapa = a lid or cover .. They ( tapas ) are not served on slate traditionally.

Traditional Tapas have specific categories:

1) Sticks ( Tooth picks or Skewers ) called " Pinchos " ..
2) Clay servingware called " Barro " or Cazuelas .. Normally, a stew for example lentils, paella, fideaù noodle paella, etcetra ..
3) On bread, called Tostas ( canapés ) ..
4) Tortilla Española = a 6 to 8 egg, potato omelette sliced in triangles only ..( potatoes are sautéed first and eggs 2nd .. Salt and Evoo, nothing else ..
5) Grilled in Evoo ( shellfish )
6) Seafood Salad ( octopus and squid )

I could go on and on ..

Mezze, are Greek tiny appetisers ..

[QUOTE="flyinglentris, post: 106135, member: 2312"
Savory is also a new word for me and upon research I find that it is usually used in Britain as a final course as a palette cleanser before serving a Port wine.

It is a very old book. I'm not sure if anyone does that now but certainly, the upper classes would have eaten them that way in the 20's.[/QUOTE]
I'll have to look in my old cookery books. I still haven't investigated further some of the recipes I said I would post on here.

@flyinglentris we used to call hors d'oeuvres horse doovers too. :D

Back
Top Bottom