Are egg cups still popular?

Local time
8:10 AM
When I was a child I can remember seeing boiled eggs put into egg cups on the table until we were ready to eat them. They would then be shelled, sprinkled with salt, and eaten from the cup with a spoon instead of being put on a plate. I have not used an egg cup for many years now, and I was wondering how many people still used these. Are they a thing of the past or are they still popular? I always put my hard boiled egg on a plate and dice it up with a spoon before eating it.

Some egg cups can be quite attractive and decorative while others are just plain-coloured. I still have some of these cups stacked away in my cupboard from years ago.

How many of you still use egg cups?

upload_2015-7-7_6-52-42.jpeg

Your making me hungry now for boiled eggs with toasted soldiers. :laugh:. Im sure i still have egg cups somewhere, but to be honest i cant remember the last time i used them. I tend to poach eggs now, or scramble them. <Runs off to look for the egg cups>.

I think they may be a popular gift shop item some places, but other than that, no they are not popular anymore. I had one as a child and was never able to successfully use it without basically hanging onto the egg with my hand anyway, so there was no real point to the egg cup. I guess you have to have just the right size egg that fits perfectly in the egg cup or it's more of a pain than anyhing else.

When I was a child I can remember seeing boiled eggs put into egg cups on the table until we were ready to eat them. They would then be shelled, sprinkled with salt, and eaten from the cup with a spoon instead of being put on a plate. I have not used an egg cup for many years now, and I was wondering how many people still used these. Are they a thing of the past or are they still popular? I always put my hard boiled egg on a plate and dice it up with a spoon before eating it.

Some egg cups can be quite attractive and decorative while others are just plain-coloured. I still have some of these cups stacked away in my cupboard from years ago.

View attachment 1156

I think lots of people in the UK, at least, use them. But for soft boiled eggs, not hard boiled. Its almost impossible to eat a runny yolked egg unless you use one (unless you shell it gently and place it whole on something into which the yolk can run, like a bed of spinach or a potato cake). But if you eat soft boiled eggs on there own, an eggcup is the perfect solution. For an up market version of 'soldiers' I sometimes serve them with asparagus spears to dip. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10593/asparagus-soldiers-with-a-softboiled-egg

I think lots of people in the UK, at least, use them. But for soft boiled eggs, not hard boiled. Its almost impossible to eat a runny yolked egg unless you use one

Well if they have to be used for soft boiled eggs, I would not be using them again any time soon, since I have always had a bad reaction to soft boiled eggs. I think the decorative ones can make good decorations on a dining room side table though. They would just be a reminder of what used to be. So, yes, they can be good as gifts for those who like ornamentals.

Well I have a lot of things knocking around here, but I feel sure I don't have one of these. Perhaps they might be a few at my mom's house but they sure are not being used. It's a nice reminder of their existence. Can't tell you when last I saw any even in passing.

It must just be that you guys don't eat soft boiled eggs on their own. In UK they are a reasonably popular breakfast. I probably eat them in eggcups about once a fortnight. My grown up son and daughter who live with me, eat them about once a week.

I love soft and runny eggs, but finding egg cups nowadays required purchasing them second hand! It is really hard to walk into a shop selling china dinner services and matching egg cups. I know because we had to do it recently and ended up giving up on the egg cups! We don't have any, but do still manage to have soft and runny eggs thankfully!

View attachment 1156

I've never owned these. :(

I've never owned these. :(
I'm curious about this. It seems that soft boiled eggs, served in their shell, with the tops cut off and bread or toast fingers to dip in them is a mainly Brit thing. So, do you ever eat soft boiled eggs? If so, how?

I think lots of people in the UK, at least, use them. But for soft boiled eggs, not hard boiled. Its almost impossible to eat a runny yolked egg unless you use one (unless you shell it gently and place it whole on something into which the yolk can run, like a bed of spinach or a potato cake). But if you eat soft boiled eggs on there own, an eggcup is the perfect solution. For an up market version of 'soldiers' I sometimes serve them with asparagus spears to dip. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10593/asparagus-soldiers-with-a-softboiled-egg
I can't eat runny yolks, but I remember when I was a child, my father ate soft-boiled eggs almost every morning. He didn't use an egg cup though. He would shell the egg and then put it in a small bowl. Then he would sort of chop it up with a spoon. Many a morning I was awoken by the sound of my Dad chopping his eggs in the kitchen.

I can't eat runny yolks, but I remember when I was a child, my father ate soft-boiled eggs almost every morning. He didn't use an egg cup though. He would shell the egg and then put it in a small bowl. Then he would sort of chop it up with a spoon. Many a morning I was awoken by the sound of my Dad chopping his eggs in the kitchen.

There is something very quaint about that sound image. Quainter than cute little eggcups!

Back
Top Bottom