Are microwaves even worth it anymore?

Local time
12:05 AM
Upon browsing various quick and easy recipes online, I'm finding more and more ways to utilize my stove for really quick and easy recipes. I find that the results are just as mess-free, and they provide a lot better results with more consistency than those that I cook in the microwave. My friend's family got rid of their microwave, and they haven't looked back. I'm beginning to think that it's not even necessary to have. What are your views on it? Would you rather use the stove if you had a choice, or do you find that your microwave is a must-have?

It's not a must-have for me. I don't have one! No room in my tiny kitchen.

That said, they have their uses. A quick baked potato for example, or reheating a cup of tea that's gone cold. Porridge is good in one too (I think that's Oatmeal to Americans). When I'm living with NT, I've no doubt I'll make use of his, but I'm unlikely to actually cook with it.

I wouldn't call it a must-have but it's pretty close. I mainly just use it to reheat left-overs.
And tbh I don't know how you manage to make it as mess free with a stove, since I always end up with a dirty frying pan that needs to be cleaned whereas with a microwave the food is already on the plate.

I used to be in love with microwaves until mine broke down and I just never bought another one and l'm glad that I didn't buy one, l think food cooks better on the stove, nice and fresh.:)

It is a useful tool if you have one. Reheating tea or coffee, porridge, defrosting, melting butter prior to baking....

I would miss mine for those things that are just quicker in the microwave, or can be heated in the bowl to save washing a pan as well.

Even just boiling water can be quicker and use less electricity with the microwave.

Now there's a thought, why are there not microwave 'kettles' for boiling water on demand from a tap for tea making?

What would be the advantage compared to a regular electric kettle?
Just thinking of an on demand boiling water tap (faucet) that is heated by microwaves instead of an electric heating element with the thought that it might be quicker and use less electricity. Not sure if that would work though, stray microwaves being released along with the flow of boiling water?

Also a jug kettle that has a microwave transmitter in the docking station that heats the water in the jug. No electrics in the jug so it can be immersed in water (dishwasher) for cleaning, and a quicker and more energy efficient boiling process.

I'm just pondering ideas.
Any design consultants out there can expect an invoice from me if they want to take the idea on.... :whistling:
:wink:

The only thing I have found them really useful for is heating up my wheat bag for my ankle or leg...
Otherwise we have done without one for more than 20 years, though we have one now because our current rental home did not have an oven and we wanted an oven so purchased a cheap combi oven but baking in it is more trial and error and quite a few dishes simply do not work in it (not to mention the problems relating to only having a max temp of 200C and no shelves... The microwave side of it only gets used for my wheatbag and to make a hot milk in the evening (I don't pay for electric but do pay for my gas and the saucepans side of life is gas....)

I have an oven and an electric kettle, and I still probably use the microwave at least once a day. I could totally get by without it, I guess, but I wouldn't get rid of it unless it broke.

We have one of those multi things,it's a grill ,convection oven and microwave can't say the microwave gets used that much

Just thinking of an on demand boiling water tap (faucet) that is heated by microwaves instead of an electric heating element with the thought that it might be quicker and use less electricity. Not sure if that would work though, stray microwaves being released along with the flow of boiling water?

Also a jug kettle that has a microwave transmitter in the docking station that heats the water in the jug. No electrics in the jug so it can be immersed in water (dishwasher) for cleaning, and a quicker and more energy efficient boiling process.

I'm just pondering ideas.
Any design consultants out there can expect an invoice from me if they want to take the idea on.... :whistling:
:wink:

Microwaves are generally not that energy efficient. Since I'm actually quite interested in anything to do with electricity, I checked it out. An average microwave oven: 65% efficiency whereas electric kettles are around 90%. Also keep in mind that with microwaves certain protective materials are required, which would drive up the price of the item itself.

I tend to use mine mostly for reheating leftovers and to do a quick baked potato or baked sweet potato, and also to heat up sachets of Uncle Ben's rice. Tony loves chips, but I don't, so when I do his chips, I can do some rice or a baked potato for me without too much fuss. I never actually cook anything in it though, so although I'd miss it slightly if it broke, I don't think I'd bother to replace it.

Microwaves are generally not that energy efficient. Since I'm actually quite interested in anything to do with electricity, I checked it out. An average microwave oven: 65% efficiency whereas electric kettles are around 90%. Also keep in mind that with microwaves certain protective materials are required, which would drive up the price of the item itself.
Ahhh, best stick to the electric kettle then.:thumbsup:

Ahhh, best stick to the electric kettle then.:thumbsup:

For the moment yes. But I do like how innovative you are about other solutions, I like to do that too except that I focus on a slightly larger scale such as solving the energy needs for the whole planet. :D

Microwave ovens were innovative but, let's face it, most people ended up using these ovens just for heating water, reheating food, unfreezing food, or make corn pops.

Personally I invested loads of money buying all type of accessories and special dishes to get the most from those ovens but to me they were a cooking fiasco that I would not repeat.

I use however electric ovens and cooking and baking appliances, which being bought withing the past year are energy efficient and have proven to be a better solution that the microwave. Of course, cooking with gas is the traditional option and the most infallible when it comes to cooking and baking, but a full gas stove is too much for my personal needs. I live happily alone :wink:

Back
Top Bottom