Are you a fashionista or a recessionista?

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:49 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
I like fashion and I try to follow it as much as I can, suitable for a bit of work for personal taste, but I always try to adapt it to my personality, my tastes and ... to the wallet, which is not a thing to neglect. Sometimes I prefer to buy a garment that is a bit more expensive but of excellent quality and that lasts in time (always with the same quality) and, of course, also depends on the garment. Even if the piece of clothing I paid the most was my diving suit!
Other times, however, I prefer to buy something cheap because at that time it makes me feel good and simply because I like it.
Shoes are one of my weaknesses. I am not a serial- accumulator, but certainly I suffer its charm.
Vintage, DOC Martens, decollete, sneakers, boots ... I like to have shoes for every occasion. But I still remember that time in Prague where I was wearing a pair of beautiful boots that were sawing my feet. I stopped at the first anonymous shoe store and bought a couple for 6 euros .. would you believe? I thought they would have abandoned me at the first corner and instead I walked for 4 days on foot to the city without ever having a problem..comfortables, cute, warm and 6 euros price! I still have them, well preserved.
The colours to which I am more oriented are black, green, red, grey sometimes, blue so-so ...
So, am I a fashionista or a recessionista? I believe both.
And what about you?

Last edited:
I an definitely both - I like vintage finds in charity shops but I also like to be (a bit) on trend. It gets more difficult as you get older. Its easy to stick with the same old style you think suits you - but I make a point of shopping in what might be called 'young people's fashion stores'. I love designer tops in particular. As for colours - lots of black offset by bright colours or silver. I also love earrings and have a massive collection - over 365. I know this because a few years ago I did a project: Earring of the day. I posted selfies wearing a different pair each day, for a year.

Shoes are a big issue for me - I just can't find anything comfortable. This isn't to do with having old feet! I've always found it a problem and much as I'd like to wear heels sometimes, I simply can't take the pain! In the summer I'm OK - I wear sandals and have quite a collection. My favourite pair is very simple - a thick crepe sole and simple wide silver straps. In winter I wear trainers or one of the few pairs of boots which are comfortable.

I an definitely both - I like vintage finds in charity shops but I also like to be (a bit) on trend. It gets more difficult as you get older. Its easy to stick with the same old style you think suits you - but I make a point of shopping in what might be called 'young people's fashion stores'. I love designer tops in particular. As for colours - lots of black offset by bright colours or silver. I also love earrings and have a massive collection - over 365. I know this because a few years ago I did a project: Earring of the day. I posted selfies wearing a different pair each day, for a year.

Shoes are a big issue for me - I just can't find anything comfortable. This isn't to do with having old feet! I've always found it a problem and much as I'd like to wear heels sometimes, I simply can't take the pain! In the summer I'm OK - I wear sandals and have quite a collection. My favourite pair is very simple - a thick crepe sole and simple wide silver straps. In winter I wear trainers or one of the few pairs of boots which are comfortable.

I also really like vintage fashion .. I still have something that matches something more modern or even neutral. I remember your earrings, you had posted some very beautiful photos. Also I like the earrings but my favorite accessory is the bracelets, in silver then they make me crazy. Do not you find the Doc Martens comfortable? if you like them obviously.

@MypinchofItaly

Great question ..

Office Attire is usually Zara & Mango and a splurge here and there or a surprise present from the hubby, like a cashmere sweater .. I wear boots and lots of them at this time of year and slip into heels at the office .. I am a " pants woman " and do not wear skirts or dresses .. I like to be comfortable as I move about alot.

Travel and Casual wear normally consist of boots, a turtleneck sweater with a big sweater over it and I like leather jackets and have a collection ..
I like Zara, as it fits me well and I have no need to alter ..

I am minimalist and norm, monochromatic and love black, Winter White, pale beige and carbón charcoal and sometimes Deep indigo navy or médium or dark denim blue .. I love scarves and have approx .. 200 or 300 .. I stopped counting .. I am also very fond of natural fibers and White shirts or White blouses ..

I love heels however, I always carry them to my destination ( dinners or events ) .. I stick a linen bag in my shoulder bag and change from a comfortable pair of boots to the heels ..

I do not wear platforms or loud colors ..

@MypinchofItaly

Great question ..

Office Attire is usually Zara & Mango and a splurge here and there or a surprise present from the hubby, like a cashmere sweater .. I wear boots and lots of them at this time of year and slip into heels at the office .. I am a " pants woman " and do not wear skirts or dresses .. I like to be comfortable as I move about alot.

Travel and Casual wear normally consist of boots, a turtleneck sweater with a big sweater over it and I like leather jackets and have a collection ..
I like Zara, as it fits me well and I have no need to alter ..

I am minimalist and norm, monochromatic and love black, Winter White, pale beige and carbón charcoal and sometimes Deep indigo navy or médium or dark denim blue .. I love scarves and have approx .. 200 or 300 .. I stopped counting .. I am also very fond of natural fibers and White shirts or White blouses ..

I love heels however, I always carry them to my destination ( dinners or events ) .. I stick a linen bag in my shoulder bag and change from a comfortable pair of boots to the heels ..

I do not wear platforms or loud colors ..

I like Mango! I have a Mango dress since several years and always perfect .. black with mini white and red polka dots, three-quarter sleeve .. usually I put it with the Doc Martens (shoes-not amphibians) or boots ..
here, I love polka dots and stripes.
I like the heels but at work I just can not do it .. when I worked in Personnel Management yes, but now it's easier to see me with my red adidas or comfortable ankle boots.
I wear them almost always, but I discovered leggins and they are a bit my second skin.

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

Yes, I wear black leggings made by " Dim France " .. They are not cheap however, last a very long time .. and are made extremely well ..

Yes, I like Mango too .. Was there to check the sales today ..

I dress leggings up with a great sweater and low heeled suede or leather boots and a cool jacket ..

Ha Ha Ha .. They are a marvel .. ( leggings ) ..

These days I live in jeans with a sweater or sweats and Merrell sneakers during the winter and knee length shorts with assorted tops and sandals in the summer.
"Back-in-the-Day" I had a wardrobe of very nice clothes. Suits, dresses, slacks. Heels 4" was my norm. There are 2 department stores that I like Macy's (throughout the US) and Dillard's (more of a southern chain). This time of year and the fall is when I like to shop. 50% to 75% off.

Shoes - sigh! I gave all of my 4"+ heels to my one of my nieces. I can not wear them anymore. 2 1/2" to 3" is my max. I have a pair of awesome Western boots. Tall shank, snip toe and a high heal for that kind of boot 2". Two pairs of dress boots - one brown, one black with a 3" heel - chunky not stiletto. Most of my pumps are in basic colors - go with anything- except for the red pair and the silver sandals - oh a jade green pair and an orange pair and a floral pair. During the summer my nod to a heel is a wedge sandal. My sandals are frequently blinged. I really miss being able to wear high heels.

Lately my problem has been body shifting. I have not gained weight - correction - I have lost the 15 lbs. I gained between Oct. '16 and March '17. My problem is that my weight is not where it used to be. Dress clothes that I wore two years ago no longer fit. Neither do my jeans. This fall I picked up several pairs of jeans - stretch waist. I had a rude awakening when my cousin died earlier this year. There was literally nothing in my closet suitable for a funeral that fit me! I started going through my closet trying on every thing. Not much left. The bed in the spare bedroom is piled with clothes that I can not wear. The local thrift shop will receive a nice donation.

I really like fashion and like to look nice. With this aging body and face I am not as inspired as I once was. Growing old is a bitch. Wait - it is a blessing when you consider the alternative.:D

Thanks @MypinchofItaly - a fun topic. I would like to see the guys chime in. :laugh:

@MypinchofItaly

Yes, I wear black leggings made by " Dim France " .. They are not cheap however, last a very long time .. and are made extremely well ..

Yes, I like Mango too .. Was there to check the sales today ..

I dress leggings up with a great sweater and low heeled suede or leather boots and a cool jacket ..

Ha Ha Ha .. They are a marvel .. ( leggings ) ..

:thumbsup:

These days I live in jeans with a sweater or sweats and Merrell sneakers during the winter and knee length shorts with assorted tops and sandals in the summer.
"Back-in-the-Day" I had a wardrobe of very nice clothes. Suits, dresses, slacks. Heels 4" was my norm. There are 2 department stores that I like Macy's (throughout the US) and Dillard's (more of a southern chain). This time of year and the fall is when I like to shop. 50% to 75% off.

Shoes - sigh! I gave all of my 4"+ heels to my one of my nieces. I can not wear them anymore. 2 1/2" to 3" is my max. I have a pair of awesome Western boots. Tall shank, snip toe and a high heal for that kind of boot 2". Two pairs of dress boots - one brown, one black with a 3" heel - chunky not stiletto. Most of my pumps are in basic colors - go with anything- except for the red pair and the silver sandals - oh a jade green pair and an orange pair and a floral pair. During the summer my nod to a heel is a wedge sandal. My sandals are frequently blinged. I really miss being able to wear high heels.

Lately my problem has been body shifting. I have not gained weight - correction - I have lost the 15 lbs. I gained between Oct. '16 and March '17. My problem is that my weight is not where it used to be. Dress clothes that I wore two years ago no longer fit. Neither do my jeans. This fall I picked up several pairs of jeans - stretch waist. I had a rude awakening when my cousin died earlier this year. There was literally nothing in my closet suitable for a funeral that fit me! I started going through my closet trying on every thing. Not much left. The bed in the spare bedroom is piled with clothes that I can not wear. The local thrift shop will receive a nice donation.

I really like fashion and like to look nice. With this aging body and face I am not as inspired as I once was. Growing old is a bitch. Wait - it is a blessing when you consider the alternative.:D

Thanks @MypinchofItaly - a fun topic. I would like to see the guys chime in. :laugh:

Haha, I'm curious too!
Merrell sneakers!!! Yeah they are great, I know and like them! And hubby too has several pairs of Merrell both for winter and summer. But now-and I don't know why- there aren't no more Merrel Stores in Italy or stores that sell them...mistery.
The size of my heels is 6/7..sometimes 8..But recently I wear them only for romantic dinner at restaurant or for special occasions.
I have a rite. Hairdresser. Almost every week. I have long hair and a bit thick (mediterranean) and I don't like to wash them on my own and dry them with phon, it takes me at least 1 hour...boring! (Like peeling potatoes, the same :laugh:).
Hairdresser makes me cuddles, head massage, straight well my hair (sorry don't know in English- stirare i capelli, piega)..

Do not you find the Doc Martens comfortable? if you like them obviously.

I do like them but whenever I've tried them on they felt uncomfortable so I've never bought any. Any kind of enclosed shoe is a problem unless its super-soft leather, I find. My partner wears DM's.

@MypinchofItaly

I go to hairdresser too, once a week to get my hair washed, conditioned & " dried straight " ..

I have long hair too ( mid back ) and it takes a long time to dry and in the Winter, that is a no no to go out with a wet head ..

In the summer, I sometimes have my hair dresser "diffuse dry" and wear it slightly curly when I am travelling ..

I usually wear jogging bottoms and jumpers indoors, but I have got a couple of classic dresses and skirts and a variety of tops for going out anywhere special. Otherwise its decent black leggings and a couple of jumpers that fit really well with them. Shoes are a pain. I used to wear stilettos up until I injured my leg, so now it's trainers (one dog-walking pair, and one decent pair), a pair of black open sandals and a couple of pairs of flattish shoes. I tend not to worry too much about going to the hairdresser. My hair is still recovering from the radiotherapy I had and the drugs I am on - yes, they don't tell you that radiotherapy affects your hair too, although nowhere near as bad as chemo. It's still long though.

Polka dots, stripes, heels, weekly trips to the hairdresser, us guys can't compete with that! I love that you all take the trouble to look chic and elegant. I'm not sure it's necessarily anything to do with fashion, but when I see someone who has made an effort to look good it makes me smile. It gives out positive signals, self belief, up beat, optimistic. On the other hand when I see someone, particularly a woman looking as though they dressed in the dark, wearing random, ill fitting, poorly matched garments I find it depressing, as though they have given up on life. No doubt a snowflake will be along soon to accuse me of chauvinism, or such like.
I'm not sure that I'm particularly fashion aware. You certainly won't find me at a "designer outlet",but I do tend to stick to certain brands - White Stuff, Joules and Fat Face make up most of my daily wardrobe because they make pretty hard wearing, decent quality stuff that mostly fits me off the peg. Normal daily attire would be:
Boots, normally brown leather brogues, sometimes suede desert boots.
Trousers, slim fitting, light fawn, sometimes green or dark blue.
Shirt, mostly blue for work but other assorted stripes and colours, even pink!
V-necked woollen jumper, or a waistcoat, or a jacket, tweed in winter, linen in summer.

I seldom ever wear suits or ties any more, apart from weddings or funerals. Ultra casual would be cargo trousers, long sleeved polo shirt and my favourite brown leather trainers.

Back
Top Bottom