Are you a fussy eater?

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
4:06 PM
Last week I was out working at a nearby new town with a team that included my son. I knew an amazing street food van nearby so decided to treat everyone to lunch. We had mutton pakoras (these are so good I have detoured miles in the past), which everyone tucked into with gusto, apart from my son who proceeded to painstakingly remove every shred of lettuce and tomato, attracting some amused looks from the others. His mother was a fussy eater - is it nurture or nature? The next day I happened to hear a radio interview with a tv presenter launching her new cook book. She spoke of her four sons, none of whom would eat the same foods. It made me wonder why. I don't recall many dislikes, intolerances or allergies when I was growing up, now everyone seems to have them. Can anyone explain this phenomenon please?

I personally think all of this, from picky eating to allergies all traces back to childhood and the eating habits that we develop. In the case of being picky once it's allowed to happen it remains with people often for the rest of their lives. As to allergies I believe that in the early years if we don't partake of certain foods we don't build a tolerance to components of that food that might later develop into such food allergies.

It is 'trendy'. In my very young days people were glad to have food - many could still remember the war years. Personally if it doesn't eat me first I'll try eating it. There are things I just don't like [celery :sick:] but at least I have tried it far too many children’s whims and fads are pandered to by misguided parents.

Perhaps part of the problem, if problem it is, is that we are surrounded by many more babbling voices of commentators, self-styled experts, so-called celebrities and other detritus all of whom want to shout louder than anyone else. Purveyors of fad diets, dubious 'health experts' and myriad other gibbering imbeciles vie for the attention of the gullible. It's the price of living in a consumer-obsessed society.

I am not and haven't ever been fussy and I wonder if it is a generational thing. My daughter who is 40 did not have any dislikes that I remember. But grandson is a little bit picky - he is 9. He doesn't like fish unless its in fish fingers, for example. He won't even eat tinned tuna. He says it smells yuk. He also won't eat mashed potato or boiled potato but will (of course) eat chips.

Jenny B your grandson and his fish and chips is a perfect example. Children make associations on things instantly. The minute he was introduced to breaded fish at an early age, he made the association, decided he liked it, and now nothing else is fish to him. Same with the chips, (and possibly potato crisps as well) nothing else is potato. He also sounds to be particularly smell oriented, while many are more visual. The trick is to avoid reenforcing it too much.

I totally agree with Sidevalve, today's parents (and of course grandparents) give in to a childs whims and moods far too much for their own good. I raised my kids at the same time as my sister-in-law and in very close to the same area. The result... none of my kids are picky eaters and both of hers are to this day. It came from them growing up pushing away entire plates of food, never eating a single leftover, and allowing them to accept or reject whatever they wanted.
The most common explanation I've heard is "Well they're only children for such a short time". Well, that's right, and they're adults for a heck of a lot longer. And even adults who grew up fussy eaters don't really like being that way now, it's inconvenient to their lifestyle, such as when they go out to eat for example.

I also believe this highly selective eating process when someone is young positively contributes by extension, to the "allergy craze" currently underway. And just like movies and music, some are more popular than others. And in my opinion, in both my personal life as well as in the professional kitchen, the Top Hits are currently MSG, gluten and garlic. I'm not saying these allergies aren't real, but I am saying it's very often "popular" to have them-- just as being "vegan" is another currently trendy thing.

Jenny B your grandson and his fish and chips is a perfect example. Children make associations on things instantly. The minute he was introduced to breaded fish at an early age, he made the association, decided he liked it, and now nothing else is fish to him. Same with the chips, (and possibly potato crisps as well) nothing else is potato. He also sounds to be particularly smell oriented, while many are more visual. The trick is to avoid reenforcing it too much.

I totally agree with Sidevalve, today's parents (and of course grandparents) give in to a childs whims and moods far too much for their own good. I raised my kids at the same time as my sister-in-law and in very close to the same area. The result... none of my kids are picky eaters and both of hers are to this day. It came from them growing up pushing away entire plates of food, never eating a single leftover, and allowing them to accept or reject whatever they wanted.
The most common explanation I've heard is "Well they're only children for such a short time". Well, that's right, and they're adults for a heck of a lot longer. And even adults who grew up fussy eaters don't really like being that way now, it's inconvenient to their lifestyle, such as when they go out to eat for example.

I also believe this highly selective eating process when someone is young positively contributes by extension, to the "allergy craze" currently underway. And just like movies and music, some are more popular than others. And in my opinion, in both my personal life as well as in the professional kitchen, the Top Hits are currently MSG, gluten and garlic. I'm not saying these allergies aren't real, but I am saying it's very often "popular" to have them-- just as being "vegan" is another currently trendy thing.

An interesting post. Lots to discuss here. :okay:

Looking at this from another point of view. There are many people who say they aren't fussy eaters - but if you suggest (for example) they try oysters or prawns with shells and heads on, or suggest they eat a vegan meal, they say 'no thanks'!

I am not fussy and I was brought up to eat everything I was given. I have my dear Mum to thank for that. My partner is quite picky though and he insists on organic produce.

Well everyone has preferences, and things they dont like. My intense dislike for steamer oysters, and general dislike of cornbread for example. But I consider myself far from being a picky or fussy eater. Granted, seeing the line between the two clearly is, I suppose also a matter of opinion.
But truly fussy eaters make themselves known, by both what they wont eat, and also by the questions they ask about what they're ordering, or presented with at a catered affair for instance, even if its a holiday meal at relatives. And those questions can be...... MANY. lol

Further, when it comes to things like food with their heads on, insects, crawfish, monkey brains, and other delicacy items, I don't deem that so much as being fussy or picky--that's more a cultural upbringing--if one's family never served something, then growing up not eating it is expected. Its an entirely different thing IMO.

Last edited:
Further, when it comes to things like food with their heads on, insects, crawfish, monkey brains, and other delicacy items, I don't deem that so much as being fussy or picky--that's more a cultural upbringing--if one's family never served something, then growing up not eating it is expected. Its an entirely different thing IMO..

I think you are right that these things to do with heads, insects etc are cultural - but then isn't a lot of picky eating down to that too? I mean, how can we differentiate between that which is culturally determined and that which is... well what? If it isn't to do with nurture in some shape or form then we would have to accept that some people are born picky.

It is 'trendy'. In my very young days people were glad to have food - many could still remember the war years. Personally if it doesn't eat me first I'll try eating it. There are things I just don't like [celery :sick:] but at least I have tried it far too many children’s whims and fads are pandered to by misguided parents.
Recently I was reading a tripadvisor review of a hotel I frequently use. The reviewers only complaint was that "children being children" they wanted chips and nuggets at night as well as lunchtime, and they were only available at lunchtime They had complained to the chef! Such enlightened parenting, and yes, they were British!

Back
Top Bottom