Are you an old fogey

Having looked up fogie in the Oxford English Dictionary, I can confirm that I fit none of the criteria involved, although my age is creeping up on me. I love marmalade - I even made some last week. It's a long time since I'd had proper marmalade, and it was a bit darker and a bit more bitter than I remember, but it tastes lovely. especially on a bit of wholemeal bread or toast. It goes well with a nice bit of fried bacon too.

Having looked up fogie in the Oxford English Dictionary, I can confirm that I fit none of the criteria involved, although my age is creeping up on me. I love marmalade - I even made some last week. It's a long time since I'd had proper marmalade, and it was a bit darker and a bit more bitter than I remember, but it tastes lovely. especially on a bit of wholemeal bread or toast. It goes well with a nice bit of fried bacon too.
Bacon and marmalade. Now that is interesting! :happy:

I'm in my mid 40s and can't stand marmalade. Never have done and neither do my brothers or sisters, one in his 40s as well. He's the Nutella person now
Now I can't have dairy. I do love a decent homemade jam though bit not laden work sugar. I usually make jam with as small amount of sugar add is possible to get out vaguely set. We tend to have runny homemade jam. I also make the occasional jelly as well, but I know that's unusual for my age group. Mind you sometimes I think even knowing what the kitchen is, is unusual for my age group!

I do not like marmalade but I do enjoy making it :D
Since I made my marmalade and also make my own jams, I don't think I'll be buying any more marmalade or jam from a supermarket - I've got about 4 1/2 lbs worth just of marmalade to work my way through, and this should last me until next year's Seville oranges are ready. I may make an exception for the Tiptree brand (my marmalade is dark, similar to their Thursday Cottage handmade orange marmalade). I must admit I didn't know they did Malt Whisky marmalade, or chocolate spread (I bet it's nicer than Nutella:D)

Oops! I've just read this "[The authors report] that grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and some other citrus fruit, including Seville oranges, limes and pomelos, contain a class of chemical called furanocoumarins. Furanocoumarins inhibit an enzyme, cytochrome P450 3A4, that is responsible for the inactivation of approximately half of all drugs" (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/Pages/Prescription-pills-and-grapefruit-a-deadly-mix.aspx). I spend a lot of time reading the information leaflets that come with my medications because of my allergies but don't remember reading anything about other citrus fruits. It's quite frightening, as I already have a list of things I have to be careful eating/must not eat, apart from all the things I am allergic to. Good job I don't eat a lot of marmalade.....

Last edited:
Oops! I've just read this "[The authors report] that grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and some other citrus fruit, including Seville oranges, limes and pomelos, contain a class of chemical called furanocoumarins. Furanocoumarins inhibit an enzyme, cytochrome P450 3A4, that is responsible for the inactivation of approximately half of all drugs" (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/Pages/Prescription-pills-and-grapefruit-a-deadly-mix.aspx). I spend a lot of time reading the information leaflets that come with my medications because of my allergies but don't remember reading anything about other citrus fruits. It's quite frightening, as I already have a list of things I have to be careful eating/must not eat, apart from all the things I am allergic to. Good job I don't eat a lot of marmalade.....

Yes, quite a few BP meds say Avoid Grapefruit - cos they can hurt if they hit you .... :laugh:

I have to avoid grapefruit because it is unavailable here in Nakhorn Nowhere. I have to put up with pomelos. However, I should be OK as I don't take any drugs (other than alcohol in small quantities).

I have to avoid grapefruit because it is unavailable here in Nakhorn Nowhere. I have to put up with pomelos. However, I should be OK as I don't take any drugs (other than alcohol in small quantities).
I have to be careful eating spinach, rhubarb, and wholemeal foods because of my medications, and all sorts of other things because of health issues. In fact I can't really eat or drink anything if I stick to all the "rules". I just take care with those that interact with medications or that I am allergic to, and stick to decaf tea and coffee because the ordinary varieties really do affect my throat.

Many years ago we lived in Holywell, North Wales for a short time as a penance (1973/4). I had been in Leeds for Christmas and caught some virus or other for which a Leeds MD gave me medicine. When I arrived back in Holywell for the New Year, I noted that there was a note on the pill bottle stating "avoid alcohol". In view of the forthcoming New Year festivities, I visited the local MD (who was actually Scottish) and asked for clarification. He told me to bin them and gave me a prescription for alternative medication and stressed that they would do me no good whatsoever but at least I could have a beer.

Many years ago we lived in Holywell, North Wales for a short time as a penance (1973/4). I had been in Leeds for Christmas and caught some virus or other for which a Leeds MD gave me medicine. When I arrived back in Holywell for the New Year, I noted that there was a note on the pill bottle stating "avoid alcohol". In view of the forthcoming New Year festivities, I visited the local MD (who was actually Scottish) and asked for clarification. He told me to bin them and gave me a prescription for alternative medication and stressed that they would do me no good whatsoever but at least I could have a beer.

My then 11 year old step-daughter was put on antibiotics once and couldn't have any foods with even the tiniest quantity iron in them. There was hardly anything that she could eat or drink, but she could have Scotch.....:D

Back
Top Bottom