Are you an old fogey

Now here's a thing. The Chambers Dictionary gives only fogy or fogey as spellings of this word. There is the plural fogies, but no fogie.

Does this make me an old fog(e)y for making this observation?
The Oxford English dictionary lists "Forms: 17–18 fogie, 17– fogey, 18– foggie (Sc.), 18– fogy" as well as noting they may be a variant of "17–18 fogrum, 17– fogram". The OED is slightly more authorative (See also authoritative) than Chambers, methinks. :D

We still use Chambers for Scrabble in this bastion of rebellion, so fogie is out.
A lot of word games and crossword puzzles use Chambers as a reference. I was "brought up" on Newnes and later the Penguin dictionaries, and graduated to the OED. I would have loved a print edition of it but would never have been able to afford it, although I would have found the space :D. Rumour has it that it will never be a print edition again but OED themselves say "No decision has yet been made on the format of the third edition. It’s likely to be more than a decade before the full edition is published and a decision on format will be taken at that point. Lexicographers are currently preparing the third edition of the OED, which is 28 percent complete. No final completion date is yet confirmed….

Demand for online resources is growing but large numbers of people continue to buy dictionaries in printed form and we have no plans to stop publishing print dictionaries."

There is hope yet:giggle:

A survey has revealed that Marmalade is now mainly the preserve of older generations, with about 60% of sales going to the over-65s and just 1% to those under 28. The overwhelming majority of purchases – 89% – were by empty-nesters and retirees. Do you eat marmalade? Why do you think its popularity might be declining? Read more here
We must be beyond fogey in our house. Our refrigerator currently contains jelly, jam, marmalade, conserve, and relish jars. The conserve and relish are sweet toppings we dollop onto a small bowl of vanilla ice cream as a treat. Jellies, jams, marmalades, preserves, and fruit butters go on toast. Or a biscuit. I've also used a preserve or marmalade in a savory recipe, such as a spiced apricot glaze for pork.

Now I'm making myself hungry. *pout*

Back
Top Bottom