Are you an old fogey

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:50 PM
A survey has revealed that Marmalade is now mainly the preserve of older generations, with about 60% of sales going to the over-65s and just 1% to those under 28. The overwhelming majority of purchases – 89% – were by empty-nesters and retirees. Do you eat marmalade? Why do you think its popularity might be declining? Read more here

I love it and always have - but I'm a great fan of bitter tastes. But, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if jam (jello) was also less popular than it used to be.

I love it and always have - but I'm a great fan of bitter tastes. But, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if jam (jello) was also less popular than it used to be.
Do you mean jelly or jello?
In the US, we have jam, jellies and jello. The latter of the 3 is basically gelatin, water and sugar with flavoring (no fruits) and it jiggles and can be cut or molded into shapes.

Do you mean jelly or jello?
In the US, we have jam, jellies and jello. The latter of the 3 is basically gelatin, water and sugar with flavoring (no fruits) and it jiggles and can be cut or molded into shapes.
Sorry. My mistake. Not Jello. I meant jelly. Do you call what we call 'jam', jelly?

Sorry. My mistake. Not Jello. I meant jelly. Do you call what we call 'jam', jelly?
No. We have jams, jellies, preserves and marmalade. Jellies are made strictly from the juice. The other three have fruits in them.
And looking in the grocery stores, I would say they are still popular.

I must be officially an old fogie. I make marmalade and I like eating it too. So does my husband. I will have to ask my daughter but I think she does buy it.

I've been an old fogie for years - nowt to do with marmalade.

However, my wife buys it occasionally because I prefer it to the jams here (too sweet). Toast, butter and marmalade at around 20:00 is good.

I liked cask beer when I was nineteen, so that probably qualified me as an old fogie then. I can't really say that I've ever been big on marmalade, though.

My daughter doe buy marmalade. She 40 and her partner likes it too. But my grandson doesn't like it. He prefers Nutella! Perhaps it is a grown-up taste.

Back
Top Bottom