Recipe Aromatic Minced Beef & Red Lentil Curry

Frizz1974

Veteran
Local time
5:04 AM
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 heaped tablespoon curry powder - use your favourite. I use one I buy in the Asian grocer.
2 teaspoons each ground coriander, cumin, and turmeric
4 star anise
2 sticks cinnamon
500 grams beef mince
1 large can (800 grams) crushed tomatoes
1 cup red lentils
3 cups beef stock
2 teaspoons each salt and sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups shredded spinach leaves

Options -

Add 2 finely chopped carrots along with the beef mince.
Add chilli powder with the spices or fresh chilli with the onion.
Add some green peas & chopped broccoli at the spinach stage.

1: Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and add onions, garlic and carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
2: Add all the spices and allow to sizzle briefly.
3: Add mince and cook stirring, until lightly browned then add remaining ingredients except spinach, bring to the boil and then cover and turn down heat.
4: Allow to simmer gently for 25 minutes and then remove lid and allow any excess liquid to cook away.
5: Add spinach & cook 3 minutes.
6: Remove cinnamon and star anise and serve with rice.

We normally skip the rice and eat this with plain Greek yogurt dolloped on top.

This is a good straightforward recipe. I am interested in your using curry powder. In the UK curry powder is rarely worth using and I suppose is seen as a bit of an old school way of making a curry - better to use your own spices. But I note you are using your own spices as well! :D
What is in your curry powder - does it give ingredients?

I used the last of it yesterday but it is called "Babas Meat Curry Powder".

I used to be a bit of a purest and always used my own spice blends and kept Keens on hand only for a dish my MIL makes that includes it, despising this "lazy" and often stale commercial product. The funny thing is I would describe Keens as Englands attempt to create what they had in colonial India.

Then I moved away from the city and had to start actively sourcing ethnic ingredients when I got to areas with high immigrant populations. If I'm in the metropolis I will seek these grocers out. I quickly noted that all Indian grocers carry a huge variety of Shan or other brand curry powders, each one specifically blended for a particular dish. Some of them are fabulous.

Babas however, is Malaysian. A completely different profile to any Indian spice blend.

Babas however, is Malaysian. A completely different profile to any Indian spice blend

Thank you! I just tried putting Babas Meat Curry Powder into Amazon and I can obtain it here (not expensive). These are the listed ingredients:

Babas Ingredients: Coriander, Aniseed, Cumin, Cinnamon, Pepper, Star Anise, Cloves and other Spices Net Weight: 250g Product of Malaysia Shipping Weight: 260g

You already include some of the spices in your recipe - but then there is that phrase in the ingredients list: and other Spices. :happy: I ordered some to try...

Last edited:
Thank you! I just tried putting Babas Meat Curry Powder into Amazon and I can obtain it here (not expensive). These are the listed ingredients:

Babas Ingredients: Coriander, Aniseed, Cumin, Cinnamon, Pepper, Star Anise, Cloves and other Spices Net Weight: 250g Product of Malaysia Shipping Weight: 260g

You already include some of the spices in your recipe - but then there is that phrase in the ingredients list: and other Spices. :happy: I ordered some to try...

Awesome. I first purchased it to make a recipe that specifically asks for it on a blog post from an Sydney based Aussie blogger. I'll link to it so you're not stuck with a heap of curry powder with no specific use.

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2014/02/19/satay-chicken-recipe/

And she uses it in a few other dishes also.

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2016/11/30/best-curry-puff-recipe/

Your recipe sounds fabulous. Though I must say I was trying to figure out automatic minced beef when I read the title.

Yes, its a very different profile with the fennel/star anise flavour in there.

I bought more on the weekend - I went to Sydney for a food festival in an area with a lo of Asian markets.

I used a teaspoon today - I was just throwing things in the slow cooker before work.

Back
Top Bottom