At the Movies...even when you're at home

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
4:53 PM
@Elawin had mentioned a movie in the What is your current "read" thread, commenting that it was OT. To me, that means we need a thread for mentioning and/or critiquing movies! Whether you go to the theater to see a movie, or relax at home to see it, let the rest of us know what you've been watching - and whether or not you recommend it.

We rarely go to a venue to watch a movie, but instead borrow DVDs from our library to watch at home. Something about the movie operator being unwilling to pause the movie when I want a break to, you know...get something else to drink or eat. :whistling:

We recently watched "Hidden Figures", a movie based during the United State's race against Russia to be the first country to put a man in space. Much of the story is fact, and it was very interesting. It got two thumbs up at our house.

The last time I went to the cinema was to see the Chester premier of "Dances with Wolves" with my kids.

I watched "Gothika" the other night with Hale Berry. That was rather weird. Well, I didn't watch it "with" Hale Berry, she starred in it.

I think the best film I've seen recently is "The Professional" with Jean Reno and a young Natalie Portman (1994).

Speaking of Jean Reno, I also re-watched "Ronin" again recently.

And another of my favourites "The Long Good Friday".

And I watch "African Queen" regularly.

I found "Cadillac Records" (2008) very enjoyable although it revolves around my type of music. Beyoncé Knowles was very good in her portrayal of Etta James IMO.

I am not a film watcher at home ..

We go to the cinema quite infrequently .. We only go to see Original Versions in English or Spanish or French or Catalan and sometimes in Italian to keep up our Italian ..

Have not been since last spring ..

When the weather is truly wonderful we do not enjoy being indoors .. So, the next film shall be in the Winter time ..

I am a big Jean Reno who was raised in Southern Spain, enthusiast and I also adore all the James Bond films ..

However, a great comedy ( minimal slap stick ) and anything about chefs & gastronomy is always welcomed ..

If I just want to watch and not have to think too much, the "James Bond" movies are adequate.
I agree but TBH if I want to be educated I would watch a documentary or the discovery channel so any film with entertainment value will do for me [can't really do with musicals though] escapist fantasy pure and simple - "messages are for western union" is a quote attributed to Sam Goldwyn - whether true or not I agree. 'Serious' films are usually biased one way or the other [films have been used for propaganda ever since they were invented] or try to give a 'correct moral' view [from the makers perspective that is] - life is too short to be depressed/instructed when I want to be entertained.

I very rarely go to the cinema these days. The last film I recall seeing at the pictures was Deja Vu! I prefer to watch them at home. A friend brought a DVD round one night - an independent film about the Inuit, which had scenes of them eating a dog, which didn't go down very well. My Amazon list of DVD's seen is like a creepy gory horror fest! I did watch two films earlier in the year: The Windmill Massacre (a Dutch slasher movie) - it was fairly OK but the ending was a bit disappointing - and Don't Breathe, about three friends who get trapped inside a blind man's house while breaking into it.

@Yorky, we're big fans of Helen Mirren in our house. You've suggested a couple of movies that we had not yet seen. They'll be going onto my "Movies" list from our local library for winter watching.

Also, "Cadillac Records" is one I'll watch for sure, even if hubby isn't interested. Alan Freed was a legend in Cleveland, but he had moved on to NYC before I got serious with listening to music...I was only three years old when he left. :giggle: However, to this day, one of the local Cleveland radio stations still holds an annual "Moondog Coronation Ball" every year.

Now I'll just wait until baseball season is over (I'm in NO hurry here) before I start ordering up DVDs from the library.

Oh, about Etta James. @Yorky, if you aren't familiar with Morgan James (no relation), you might want to check out her music or that of "Postmodern Jukebox". She rotates in and out of that group as needed. Seems they have a number of members that rotate through.

Albeit a television series, have you seen "Chef!" with Lenny Henry?

https://tune.pk/video/3547187/salt-from-the-bbc-show-chef

@Yorky

No, we do not follow T.V. very much .. Just the news in Catalan and Spanish .. Short and sweet ..

We prefer to sit on a open air terrace and have a face to face conversation ..

On occasion, we do catch 2 programmes from time to time, both crime series, The Family of Blue Bloods, with Tom Selleck and CSI New York and / or Las Vegas. We are quite fascinated by forensic medicine and criminology ..

Well, I am very lucky. My friend who I frequently stay with in Saffron Walden has a state of the art digital home cinema in the basement. The screen fills the whole of one wall and it has surround sound.

He also has a massive collection of films - almost anything 'classic' you can think of. Everything by Hitchcock etc. Almost all the French New Wave. etc. etc. plus lots of other more contemporary films. He has something like 2000 films! We do 'seasons' of directors and recently we watched all of David Lynch's work.

A bottle of wine and some snacks and a comfy sofa... bliss

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom