At the Movies...even when you're at home

We have a good cinema in town, the last film we saw was La La Land, fun and a bit of fluff.

To be honest I am divided on cinema/home debate. I like to leave the house and watch a good movie but I also like to stay in, feet up, wine and chocolate.

We have a good cinema in town, the last film we saw was La La Land, fun and a bit of fluff.

To be honest I am divided on cinema/home debate. I like to leave the house and watch a good movie but I also like to stay in, feet up, wine and chocolate.
I'd only go to any of our local cinemas in daylight, in the afternoon. Walking round our local town centre to go to the cinema in the evening/at night is not something that appeals to me at all, even when with friends.

I'd only go to any of our local cinemas in daylight, in the afternoon. Walking round our local town centre to go to the cinema in the evening/at night is not something that appeals to me at all, even when with friends.

Have you seen the "Harry Brown" fillum with Micheal Caine?

The place we go to is in a quiet part of town, it also shows art displays and has a good restaurant, no popcorn! It is clean and a nice place to be.

We avoid the main cinema VUE, filthy and it stinks or toilets and popcorn :sick:

We avoid the main cinema VUE, filthy and it stinks or toilets and popcorn :sick:
Same here, plus our VUE is in a particularly nasty after dark shopping centre with no immediately transport links except for a dodgy ground level car park, and an even more dodgy multi-storey. At least the Premier is next to a bus stop when you go there, but on the way home you have to brave a very bleak subway to get to any of the stops in this direction. :unsure::facepalm:

Same here, plus our VUE is in a particularly nasty after dark shopping centre with no immediately transport links except for a dodgy ground level car park, and an even more dodgy multi-storey. At least the Premier is next to a bus stop when you go there, but on the way home you have to brave a very bleak subway to get to any of the stops in this direction. :unsure::facepalm:

Not very user friendly :headshake:

Our town has had a lot of money spent on it and there is a big fancy cinema but it is almost slap bang in the middle and is typical popcorn, sweets etc... No doubt clean but a bit of a hoo ha to get to.

Not very user friendly :headshake:

Our town has had a lot of money spent on it and there is a big fancy cinema but it is almost slap bang in the middle and is typical popcorn, sweets etc... No doubt clean but a bit of a hoo ha to get to.
At one end of the market place, the only direct route to that bus stop is through an alleyway, The last time I walked through there, two teenage boys were behind me. I didn't feel at all comfortable, and that was in the middle of the day. Luckily, what the boys didn't know, was that there were two policeman following them. They were arrested for stealing a mobile phone. Ever since that occasion, I walk round the long way but when the shopping centre is shut for the night, so is "the long way" too. I preferred it when it used to be all open, with proper access. There is a housing estate near me like that too. No direct road access to most of the houses, just courtyards and connecting paths and alleys. It used to be a muggers' paradise, and I don't like having to go through there on my own, or even with the dog. Going to our local polling station (which is in the middle of it) is frequently enough for me.

I watched "The Girl on the Train" a couple of days ago. It's had some awful reviews plus some very good ones, but nothing in between. Anyway, it's free on Amazon, so I thought I'd give it go.

It's a weird film, rather slow in places, and very predictable from about half way through. If I'd have had to have paid for it, I would have been very disappointed. Still, it was a way of whiling away an afternoon.....

@Yorky, I just looked up The Snowman to see which cinema it was showing at in my area. Precisely nowhere! The nearest cinema it is showing at is over 7 miles away at what is said to be the number one Bollywood site in the UK. It is not in a nice area - the last time I was there it scared me rigid at 8.30 a.m. The only other cinema is 10 miles away in the opposite direction, and in an even worse area. There are no dates yet for the release of a DVD, or any information regarding it being on Sky, Netflix etc. but I think I'll wait.

@Yorky, I just looked up The Snowman to see which cinema it was showing at in my area. Precisely nowhere! The nearest cinema it is showing at is over 7 miles away at what is said to be the number one Bollywood site in the UK. It is not in a nice area - the last time I was there it scared me rigid at 8.30 a.m. The only other cinema is 10 miles away in the opposite direction, and in an even worse area. There are no dates yet for the release of a DVD, or any information regarding it being on Sky, Netflix etc. but I think I'll wait.

I shall have to wait. It is extremely unlikely that it will be shown in one of our cinemas. Also, due to extensive censorship, it would likely be 30 minutes shorter that the officially released version.

We tend to go to the cinema to watch new releases that are things we follow (like star wars film or start trek films etc). Here in Australia there is the option of the premiere lounge at our ' local ' cinema... It's a hours drive away. There in that screen there are only 44 seats, but they are recliners with food tables attached to them. The service isn't cheap, but you can order food and drinks to be served during the film which is great. You can also take in food and drink from the cinema as well and if you ate discrete about it type own snacks as well. The isles are wide enough for me to leave my wheelchair next to my seat without blocking the isle or even coming close to it. The are also the normal screens but we've yet to try those out. We tend to only go even it's a great so only a couple of times a year.

" A toque de Canela " ( A Touch of Cinammon ), a mythic historical novel about a Young Greek boy who goes to see his Grandfather in Rural Turkey who is an agriculturist ..

Do not miss .. But do have a box of Kleenex !! .. It is one of the best classical films I have ever seen .. Will not tell you any more ...

" A toque de Canela " ( A Touch of Cinammon ), a mythic historical novel about a Young Greek boy who goes to see his Grandfather in Rural Turkey who is an agriculturist ..

Do not miss .. But do have a box of Kleenex !! .. It is one of the best classical films I have ever seen .. Will not tell you any more ...
In the UK this film is called A Touch of Spice. It's on Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom