At what temperature do you feel most comfortable?

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
7:09 AM
The "What time do you prefer to get up in the morning?" thread started to go down the side street of air temperatures and comfort levels. I figured we can all discuss what feels too hot or too cold to us here. What prompted me to create this "here" was this comment by Cinisajoy:
"I regret to inform you but 27C Is not anywhere close to hot. That is a nice comfortable temperature."
Now that temperature may be comfortable for Cinisa, but by that temperature I'm already five degrees past the "don't you dare bother me" stage. Personally, I find 70 to 75 most comfortable to function. 65-68 if I'm doing serious manual work that might scare up some perspiration.I also prefer it on the cooler side when sleeping. Just so long as my nose isn't cold, I'm good with my various layers of covers I can pull up or push off as needed.

When it comes to cooling down on a hot day, no matter how warm the air is, I must start my day with a cup or two of hot tea to wake the taste buds, followed by a cup or two of hot coffee. If I do drink something cold, my body feels cold right away, but eventually I start to feel warm sooner than if I were still drinking my hot beverage. Cold drinks still feel good going down, though!

At what temperature(s) are you most comfortable, or most functional?

This afternoon around 15:00 it was 27 degC here and the humidity was quite low. That is unusual for this time of year and I felt very comfortable on the stoep. Then the sun broke through the clouds and it was soon 30 degC which was not excessively uncomfortable but I prefer the 27 degC. Except at night when 22 degC would be preferable.

Today just made it into double figures at home. Tonight is already below the forecast temperature of 3C.

I like it cold when in in bed asleep. I like to snuggle under the quilt or quilts (tonight is 2 quilts and a blanket) and we have a saying here, warm toes, cold nose. That's how I like to be during the night. The morning is another matter. The cold beautiful mornings are wonderful but I do like them to warm up quickly which they don't now we are in winter. Spring should have a nip in the air, temperatures nice. Summer warm enough for short sleeves, but not warm enough to be sweating. 27C is an ideal afternoon temperature here in the shade sitting down doing nothing. Upper 30sC is too hot for me and anything starting with a 4x had better not last long!

Ideal afternoon temperature I guess it's mid teens for summer.
Anything out of single figures (and ideally positive) is good for winter.

I love you started this thread.
I think part of the comfortable zone depends on where you live.
We had your comfortable temperatures on Tuesday and it felt cool outside. We also had our ubiquitous wind. Enough to need light jackets. Now had it been early spring or late fall, those temps would have been nice. By Thursday, we were back to 100 and 80 at night feels mighty nice. Though we do need a small fan to circulate the air at night when it drops into the 80's.

This might also have to do with the difference between day and night temperatures.

I've worked and cycled in temperatures(still air) from -15°C up to the high 60's(5°F - 156°F) and never found the actual air temperature to be a problem whilst working. If there's air movement or I'm doing something, I've never really been bothered by the temperature.

Biggest problem is in offices where the air conditioning, not doing very much, always seems to have something added to it. Dries the eyes out and the mouth/nose.

I've worked and cycled in temperatures(still air) from -15°C up to the high 60's(5°F - 156°F) and never found the actual air temperature to be a problem whilst working. If there's air movement or I'm doing something, I've never really been bothered by the temperature.

Biggest problem is in offices where the air conditioning, not doing very much, always seems to have something added to it. Dries the eyes out and the mouth/nose.
What planet were you on as the highest temperature on earth was 134F on July 10, 1913 Recorded at Greenland Ranch, Death Valley, California, United States. Oops, that has been disproved. The highest air temperature is 129F (53.9 C). Also in Death Valley California on 5 different occasions.

That seems plenty hot.

Sounds like classic may have worked in a foundry to me, Cin. :eek: That's Caliente!
Except for the fact, he said he cycled in temperatures up to 156.
We had a foundry here. In the summer, it was only open nights due to the daily temperatures.

classic, WAY too hot for me! :heat: My top comfort temperature is 75. I will tolerate 80 for short stretches of time...say from the grocery store to my car, where I either get on the road with all windows open or kick the air conditioning on full blast. Anything over that...you don't want to be around me if something goes wrong. Think fireworks on a holiday. Ka-Boom!

classic, WAY too hot for me! :heat: My top comfort temperature is 75. I will tolerate 80 for short stretches of time...say from the grocery store to my car, where I either get on the road with all windows open or kick the air conditioning on full blast. Anything over that...you don't want to be around me if something goes wrong. Think fireworks on a holiday. Ka-Boom!
Lynne,
I would like to extend an invitation for you to visit anytime between November and February. I promise to send you back north before fall.

With that last bit in mind, I wonder how many others have the same problem, without realising what the cause is?

Back
Top Bottom