Recipe Atholl Brose

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
2:15 PM
I haven't made this in 40 years because I rarely take strong liquor any more but it is an excellent Scottish drink:

Ingredients
  • One bottle of Scotch whisky
  • 10 fluid ounces of double cream
  • 450g of clear honey
  • The whites of six large eggs
  • One handful of fine ground oatmeal
Method

Soak the oatmeal with the Scotch whisky and set aside for 60 minutes

Beat the egg whites until they become stiff. Fold the cream into the egg white mixture. Add the honey.

Sieve the whisky/oatmeal mixture. Blend in the whisky to the egg white/cream/honey mixture at a slow but steady pace.

Pour the liquid into some bottles and set aside for one week. Shake each bottle each day.

I haven't made this in 40 years because I rarely take strong liquor any more but it is an excellent Scottish drink:

Ingredients
  • One bottle of Scotch whisky
  • 10 fluid ounces of double cream
  • 450g of clear honey
  • The whites of six large eggs
  • One handful of fine ground oatmeal
Method

Soak the oatmeal with the Scotch whisky and set aside for 60 minutes

Beat the egg whites until they become stiff. Fold the cream into the egg white mixture. Add the honey.

Sieve the whisky/oatmeal mixture. Blend in the whisky to the egg white/cream/honey mixture at a slow but steady pace.

Pour the liquid into some bottles and set aside for one week. Shake each bottle each day.
I'm afraid the 'cream' aspect is turning my tummy! It reminds me of Baileys, though I'm sure its far superior.

I'm afraid the 'cream' aspect is turning my tummy! It reminds me of Baileys, though I'm sure its far superior.

I'm not sure that Baileys existed at that time. I'm talking '74/'75 when I worked in Lanarkshire.

When we first made it one member of the "too many cooks" didn't strain the whisky/oat mixture and just poured the whole lot in.

I'm not sure that Baileys existed at that time. I'm talking '74/'75 when I worked in Lanarkshire.

When we first made it one member of the "too many cooks" didn't strain the whisky/oat mixture and just poured the whole lot in.
Baileys was introduced in 1974! I guess that creamy drinks were all the range in the 70's. I don't really remember drinking that kind of stuff though - I think I just used to drink beer down the pub in those days. I hadn't even been introduced to wine in those days.

Porridge!:D
mmmmmm eating and driving... now is that illegal?

I should point out that I don't always cook my oatmeal or porridge in the hotter months. It does not need it, if it has been soaked for long enough. So in summer, a cold 'porridge' can simply be a fresh fruit on top of porridge oats soaked in almond milk overnight (if you use yoghurt you will need extra milk mixed in first which gets absorbed overnight).

Back
Top Bottom