Aubergines/eggplants

Charys

Local time
3:09 PM
Hi there,

I'm new here, hi to all. I am hoping someone can help me with a question about the flesh of the aubergine. I have cooked them for many years, but I've just bought two from the supermarket, that once cut open, look quite different to any I've seen before. I am wondering if they are perhaps underripe /edible? The skin is intact and looks very healthy. The flesh is white, but in the lower portion of the aubergine it has large gaps and air pockets with tiny pinprick spot black seeds. Is this something that they sometimes look like ?

many thanks for anyone reading

I think its probably fine - they often have black seeds which you can see but not often very large air pockets. I've certainly come across air pockets before though. It could just be a more mature aubergine which has been harvested late. As long as the flesh is white and not obviously mouldy then it should be OK.

I think its probably fine - they often have black seeds which you can see but not often very large air pockets. I've certainly come across air pockets before though. It could just be a more mature aubergine which has been harvested late. As long as the flesh is white and not obviously mouldy then it should be OK.

Agreed. They are in the last stages of ripeness where the seeds have matured.

The aubergine is definitely overripe, but they actually go yellow when they are completely overripe (I have one we missed on our aubergine plants hence how I know. I'm letting it develop to see what happens though will have to pick it at the weekend when we move house). It should is fine to eat if it is still purple skinned and the seeds are only very small. Air gaps is a good indicator of being too ripe, the seeds are the indicator of being overripe.

Thanks all for replying....the seeds were so miniscule though......the size of pinpricks, infact they looked like scattered black dust. They weren't mature seeds :scratchhead:
It was white flesh mostly, but the outside of the flesh looked more green and 'watery' so was wondering under ripe? Anyway, it was a rubbish Aubergine and won't be buying them online from Ocado again. lol It was eaten and nobody felt ill, but it was bitter. As I say, never seen one like it after years of cooking them.

Hiyer Herbie, I was making an Ottolenghi recipe for aubergine savoury cheescake. A gorgeous thing coated in olive oil and za'tar once cooled. I use aubergine most weeks, and find it quite versatile in indian food, or cubed and roasted with sweet potato or butternut squash, or or......lol

Anyway, it was a rubbish Aubergine and won't be buying them online from Ocado again. lol It was eaten and nobody felt ill, but it was bitter. As I say, never seen one like it after years of cooking them.

Glad it worked out! I order aubergines from Ocado but haven't had that problem - they are good at refunding if you complain.

Another Ottolenghi fan here! I have several of his books.

I hope you hang around on the forum. We are a very friendly bunch of keen cooks and love new members. If you have a moment do please introduce yourself in the New Member Introductions section.

Hiyer Herbie, I was making an Ottolenghi recipe for aubergine savoury cheescake. A gorgeous thing coated in olive oil and za'tar once cooled.

:wave:

Oh my, that sounds good. Please post recipe and photos. I've
Only really used aubergine for curry or ratatouille. Husband us not so keen on aubergine so I rarely both for myself but eat it when I go out. (Husband is not fussy so I don't mind this exception)

Thanks for your welcome guys...will go to the introduction section shortly. How are we placed for posting recipes, if they are from a published book ?

Morning Glory - same here I have a handful of his books. You learn about so many new ingredients and herbs and spices from them, things you never usually encounter.

Thanks for your welcome guys...will go to the introduction section shortly. How are we placed for posting recipes, if they are from a published book ?

Morning Glory - same here I have a handful of his books. You learn about so many new ingredients and herbs and spices from them, things you never usually encounter.

Re posting recipes from books its OK as long as you credit it fully.

I just ask that in addition to fully crediting the recipe, you ensure you are doing slightly more than a direct "here's the recipe from xyz" so if you prefer a certain modification to it, say so and why, or actually write a review the recipe.

Plus check the copyright out, some recipe sites and books actually state no replication whatsoever, including one of my favourites and that includes from her books. But on the whole provided they are credited and you don't include a photo of the photographer's photograph from within the book, it is usually fine. A modification to a recipe or review of it is usually the best way round these issues.

Back
Top Bottom