aubergine-with-garlic-copy.jpg

Aubergines with garlic
1 aubergine
15g fresh ginger
½ cup coriander
2 tablespoons of light soya sauce
2 spring onions
3 cloves garlic

Peel the aubergine and cut into long strips. Cut the ginger into long, thin slices and chop the coriander coarsely. Chop the garlic into small cubes and cut the spring onions into long strips. Deep fry the aubergines in hot oil for approx 3 minutes. Shake off excess oil. Place aubergine in frying pan and frying pan and add the ginger, coriander, soya sauce and spring onions. Toss for about 30 seconds. Finally, add the chopped garlic and toss three or four times. Serve immediately.
http://www.neehao.co.uk/2014/10/aubergines-with-garlic-by-chef-jian-wang/

Competition or no competition this looks good and it's super easy.

Can I use something to bind the ingredients together like a light batter or an egg maybe? I am afraid the sliced veggies would come off or float when I do the deep frying. It seems to me the ingredients could be paired with a miso paste? Maybe I will try adding miso paste for color and an added depth in flavor

I was wondering the same thing. How does it all stay together when you deep fry it? It looks like it would just make a mess with everything falling off. It does look really good but I am thinking that I would probably cook it in the oven to keep everything together.

I think there is a typo in the recipe. If you look you will see it says 'place the aubergines in a frying pan in a frying pan' which is obviously a typo. I reckon that the aubergine strips are deep fried first. then the filling is stir fried and put on top of the aubergines. You certainly don't deep-fry the aubergine with the topping on it!

I think there is a typo in the recipe. If you look you will see it says 'place the aubergines in a frying pan in a frying pan' which is obviously a typo. I reckon that the aubergine strips are deep fried first. then the filling is stir fried and put on top of the aubergines. You certainly don't deep-fry the aubergine with the topping on it!

I am seeing a few errors when I check recipes online. I suspect Jian Wong would have preferred to write it in Chinese. Anyway, I have to say I hardly ever follow a recipe. In this case I would add whatever tickles my fancy and I would make this in the oven.

Last edited:
I've sent a message to the Chef to ask. Well, its via the restaurant's website. If I get an answer I'll let you all know!

Back
Top Bottom