1 lb sour or cooking apples
2 tbsp sugar
1 lemon
8 oz sultanas
8 oz currants
1 or 2 tbsp cornflour
1 oz butter

Method:
  1. Cut up the apples, skin, core and all, into small pieces and put in a large saucepan. Grate the lemon rind over them and cook slowly until the apples are soft. (Add a spoon of water or lemon juice if they become too dry or start to brown.) Then press them through a sieve into a bowl and return them to the saucepan.
  2. Add 4 pts water, the sugar, currants and sultanas. Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
  3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Slowly stir the cornflour into it and then add this mixture to the soup gradually, stirring all the time.
  4. Simmer for another 10 minutes, then serve.
Note: In Austria, larger quantities of sugar and butter are generally used, Try experimenting with more of each and see if you like it the richer way. You can also add 1 gill white wine with the water. Recipe taken from "Cooking the Austrian Way" by Anne Knox.

Last edited:
Fascinating. Is this soup eaten as a dessert?
It could be, but in Austria and here I've always had it as lunch, complete with a chunk of bread. Some of the dumplings we had in Austria for lunch were very sweet and/or contained fruit too. And of course breakfast could well be a thick slice of cake filled with cream and all sorts of nuts and other goodies with a couple of cups of strong black coffee :woot::D

It could be, but in Austria and here I've always had it as lunch, complete with a chunk of bread. Some of the dumplings we had in Austria for lunch were very sweet and/or contained fruit too. And of course breakfast could well be a thick slice of cake filled with cream and all sorts of nuts and other goodies with a couple of cups of strong black coffee :woot::D

Not having a sweet tooth I find all that a bit too much. But I can understand the soup - I'd probably cut the amount of sugar in it though.

WOW!

Never heard of this before!! :wacky:
You don't know what you are missing :laugh:

@morning glory the amount of sugar in the recipe has been pared right down. Austrian desserts and cakes are very sweet, but still not sickly sweet, and this soup is quite bland in comparison :laugh: Eating it with a piece of wholemeal bread tends to take the sweetness away at bit.

Back
Top Bottom