Recipe Autumn Breakfast - Pumpkin Pancakes with Sweet Apple Cider Syrup

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
4:18 AM
I love Fall, so am always looking around for recipes that include apple, pumpkin, cranberries, and the related spices. This one looks like a winner, although I can't say it looks all that healthy, or suitable for those on a diet. Since I usually have pretty light breakfasts, I would probably make this for brunch or dinner.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pumpkin-pancakes-with-sweet-apple-cider-syrup

INGREDIENTS:
HOT CIDER SYRUP

• 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup corn syrup
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
PANCAKES:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
DIRECTIONS:
  1. In a large saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
  2. For pancakes, in a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, pumpkin and oil until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
  3. Pour batter by 1/4 cup's onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup.
Yield: 15 pancakes (1 cup syrup).

Nutritional Facts
1 serving (3 each) equals 448 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee Diane, that sounds Super! I especially like the hot cider syrup idea. I am a total cider fan. I think I am going to remember that the next time I have pancakes or waffles. It is that time of the year when cider is going to start being available. I may look for some at the store. Thanks for that recipe.

This sounds superb. What an awesome breakfast for this time of year. I am sure that they are delicious. The syrup sounds really good. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Sounds like the perfect fall delight.

You're welcome @kgord @L_B it sounds yummy to me, too. I don't drink all that much cider year round, since it can be difficult to find, but it's nice to find a recipe that calls for it at this time of year, when it's more prevalent. I love things such as pumpkin bread and muffins, but have never had pumpkin pancakes, so I thought this sounded like a nice festive Fall recipe.

I acrually think im going to try & get the ingredients to make this today. It sounds delicious, and I love everything having to do with pumpkins & fall. Its almost better than christmastime :D. Αlmost. Not quite. Now I shall be on my way to the store!

This sounds wonderful and I love Fall baking and cooking too! So many homely and creative things to make. When the days get shorter and colder, nothing more comforting than getting creative in the kitchen! :chef:

This sounds like heaven on a fork. I am copying this recipe so I can try it. Sounds like the perfect fall breakfast. I made chunky spicy applesauce the other day and thought that was good for fall weather, these pancakes are even better.

This sounds like heaven on a fork. I am copying this recipe so I can try it. Sounds like the perfect fall breakfast. I made chunky spicy applesauce the other day and thought that was good for fall weather, these pancakes are even better.

I always make homemade applesauce in the Fall, as well. I have been so preoccupied with other things that I'd forgotten, so thanks for the reminder. Hopefully I can get some apples and make a batch soon!

I always make homemade applesauce in the Fall, as well. I have been so preoccupied with other things that I'd forgotten, so thanks for the reminder. Hopefully I can get some apples and make a batch soon!
Glad I could help you out with that! How do you make your applesauce, do you use a Crock as well? Crock Pots are such a good invention, but I guess making applesauce on the stove tastes amazing as well. I love the way it makes my house smell!

Glad I could help you out with that! How do you make your applesauce, do you use a Crock as well? Crock Pots are such a good invention, but I guess making applesauce on the stove tastes amazing as well. I love the way it makes my house smell!

My crockpot is big, and my kitchen is small, so I just make the applesauce on the stove top, in a pan. It always comes out delicious, and yes, I love how it makes the whole house smell.

Sometimes I'll just heat up some water in a pot with cinnamon and clove, and/or star anise, and the scent permeates the house and perks me up :).

Like you I think I would have it as a breakfast-for-dinner type meal situation, since I prefer light breakfasts. But the combination of flavors sounds divine!

It really is the perfect representation of fall in pancake form!

Back
Top Bottom