Avocado - did you know this?

I'm surprised that anyone would think that they would be the same. Why would they be? Why would ask varieties of apples have the same number of calories (they have different levels of sugars in them) and do all varieties of nuts have the same calories? So why can't different avocados have different levels of calories?
I think it is the fact that if you look up calories in a calorie counter then it usually gives only one generic type of avocado. Plus, the calorie difference is much more considerable than with different apples. And this is not to do with size. Most eating apples have a similar amount of calories per gram.

Most eating apples have a similar amount of calories per gram.
But not all apples are eating apples so you are excluding a section of the same fruit simply to validate your answer. Avocado simply store energy in fat form, not sugar form and obviously when 1 tablespoon of any oil contains 120 calories, the differences are going to be huge. Sugar by comparison has 48 calories per tablespoon.

Plus calorie counters are notoriously inaccurate and should not be relied upon. The one I use has something wrong with it virtually everytime I use it.

Today was someone's reference for Staffordshire oatcakes. They had roughly the same calories as my Homemade recipe calculations but after that... Anyone who thinks there is only 0.1mg of sodium in an oatcake when the recipe calls for 2tsp of salt per 30 oatcakes, clearly has no idea on the difference between milligrams and grams and sodium and salt. flour alone has more than that of naturally occurring sodium in it.

Calorie counters are good (usually but even then I've found people thinking milk for instance had zero calories in it!) for counting calories nothing else and they only just manage to do that.

But not all apples are eating apples so you are excluding a section of the same fruit simply to validate your answer. Avocado simply store energy in fat form, not sugar form and obviously when 1 tablespoon of any oil contains 120 calories, the differences are going to be huge. Sugar by comparison has 48 calories per tablespoon.

I wasn't choosing eating apples validate my answer. My point is simply that calorie guides can be particularly misleading if someone looks up avocados. If they look up apples the difference is not going to be huge per gram. And the calorie guides will normally only list eating apples - hence my specifying them (if they include cooking apples there will be a different calorie count).

For someone on a diet the fact that the two types of avocado differ so greatly could mean that they are 'accidentally' eating a lot more calories a day. The difference would be minimal per gram between different eating apples.

Medium 150g apples:

Golden Delicious - 72 calories
Gala - 73 calories
Granny Smith - 80 calories
Fuji - 80 calories
Red Delicious - 80 calories
Pink Lady - 85 calories

I think it is the fact that if you look up calories in a calorie counter then it usually gives only one generic type of avocado. Plus, the calorie difference is much more considerable than with different apples. And this is not to do with size. Most eating apples have a similar amount of calories per gram.
Bramley apples have 41 calories per 100g
Braeburn have 71 calories per 100g

Avocado (various) range from 178 to 237 calories per 100g on Tesco's nutritional content. That range is not that much bigger.

Has anyone tried avocado oil? I bought a bottle last week for a recipe I found for lime and ginger dressing to go with a tuna noodle salad. Whilst I love avocados I found the oil a bit overpowering. I more than doubled the lime and ginger content specified in the recipe, but still couldn't get either flavour to come through. Any suggestions on other uses for it before it joins the other expensive bottles of weird stuff at the back of the store cupboard?

Has anyone tried avocado oil? I bought a bottle last week for a recipe I found for lime and ginger dressing to go with a tuna noodle salad. Whilst I love avocados I found the oil a bit overpowering. I more than doubled the lime and ginger content specified in the recipe, but still couldn't get either flavour to come through. Any suggestions on other uses for it before it joins the other expensive bottles of weird stuff at the back of the store cupboard?
I have a bottle of it....it is a little condensed/concentrated and thick. Pehaps you could use half avocado oil and half olive oil?

Back
Top Bottom