Bacon and egg pie......

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:54 AM
do you put sliced tomatoes in yours, I'm told you either do or you don't. I do add tomatoes, they add a moist factor to the pie.
I prick the bottom of the pastry then add eggs then bacon then tomato. S and p then pastry on top.
How do you do yours. I always make one if we are going to the races or something similar.

Russ

Bacon and egg pie may be something particular to the UK and NZ (possibly AUS). I'm not sure. To be honest its not much heard of these days in the UK - but in the versions I'm familiar with there is no tomato added.

If I Google it, NZ references come up more than UK ones.

What kind of pastry do you use @rascal - and does your pie have pastry all round or only on top?

Bacon and egg pie may be something particular to the UK and NZ (possibly AUS). I'm not sure. To be honest its not much heard of these days in the UK - but in the versions I'm familiar with there is no tomato added.

If I Google it, NZ references come up more than UK ones.

What kind of pastry do you use @rascal - and does your pie have pastry all round or only on top?

Really? I thought most of our cooking recipes came from the uk, from all the people that immigrated here from the uk over the years. I found when in the uk, pub menus were so much like at home. Now with Gordon and Jamie on tv all the time we still get English recipes. I would make a bacon n egg pie every 6 weeks? They don't last long around here. My son makes a bee line for here if he knows I've made one.

Russ

Really? I thought most of our cooking recipes came from the uk, from all the people that immigrated here from the uk over the years. I found when in the uk, pub menus were so much like at home. Now with Gordon and Jamie on tv all the time we still get English recipes. I would make a bacon n egg pie every 6 weeks? They don't last long around here. My son makes a bee line for here if he knows I've made one.

Russ

Yes - bacon and egg pie is of probably UK origin - but its fallen out of fashion here. Its not really something you would find most people cooking nor on Pub menus (although it should be!).

Last edited:
I've never heard of this - sounds good though.
I'm guessing its quite a firm texture and holds up well to slicing and eating picnic style?
I'm always looking for ideas of things that we can eat on the hoof whilst travelling :okay:
Yes it's quite firm and easily transportable, we keep in the fridge and wrap in foil when we go out. Great for a picnic.

Russ

I'm thinking of making one and I've been looking at various recipes. Most NZ recipes put the bacon in the pie uncooked. I also read that NZ bacon is less fatty. All the UK recipes I looked at say to cook the bacon first.

What do you do @rascal? Do you pre-cook the bacon? And what kind of bacon are you using?

I'm thinking of making one and I've been looking at various recipes. Most NZ recipes put the bacon in the pie uncooked. I also read that NZ bacon is less fatty. All the UK recipes I looked at say to cook the bacon first.

What do you do @rascal? Do you pre-cook the bacon? And what kind of bacon are you using?

I'm eggs first then raw streaky bacon. The tomato is a bonus IMHO. Especially nice ripe ones,

Russ

Back
Top Bottom