Recipe Bacon in mustard sauce

Elawin

Guru
Local time
12:12 AM
This dish is part-fried and part-baked. It is good served as part of a main meal (I had mine with chips!) but could also be served for breakfast or lunch with a couple of slices of fried bread.

WP_20170608_22_20_49_Pro.jpg

Serves: 2
Preparation time: 35 mins

Ingredients:

1 onion, sliced
2 large tomatoes, sliced
150 g mushrooms, sliced
4 rashers back bacon, chopped into 1" squares
25 g butter
25 g flour
425 ml milk and/or whey
2 teaspoons English mustard powder, or 3 teaspoons ready made mustard
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

1. Gently fry the onion, tomatoes, mushrooms and bacon and place in layers into an oven-proof dish.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the flour, and cook for approx. 2 minutes.
3. Take the pan off the heat and gradually add the milk or whey to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
4. Simmer gently until the sauce thickens and leave to cool for a few minutes.
5. Stir in the mustard and the eggs, season to taste, and pour over the bacon and the vegetables.
6. Cook in the oven (200C, 180 fan, Gas mark 6) for approx. 25 minutes until the top is just starting to brown and the sauce is cooked through, and serve.

This dish is part-fried and part-baked. It is good served as part of a main meal (I had mine with chips!) but could also be served for breakfast or lunch with a couple of slices of fried bread.

View attachment 7786

Serves: 2
Preparation time: 35 mins

Ingredients:

1 onion, sliced
2 large tomatoes, sliced
150 g mushrooms, sliced
4 rashers back bacon, chopped into 1" squares
25 g butter
25 g flour
425 ml milk and/or whey
2 teaspoons English mustard powder, or 3 teaspoons ready made mustard
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:

1. Gently fry the onion, tomatoes, mushrooms and bacon and place in layers into an oven-proof dish.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the flour, and cook for approx. 2 minutes.
3. Take the pan off the heat and gradually add the milk or whey to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
4. Simmer gently until the sauce thickens and leave to cool for a few minutes.
5. Stir in the mustard and the eggs, season to taste, and pour over the bacon and the vegetables.
6. Cook in the oven (200C, 180 fan, Gas mark 6) for approx. 25 minutes until the top is just starting to brown and the sauce is cooked through, and serve.
That looks really tasty - full of flavours. Similar to Welsh Rarebit?

Back
Top Bottom