Recipe Bagels

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:19 PM
Such fun to make! If you have never tried to make bagels, then be assured that its easier than you might think. Have fun spinning the dough on a wooden spoon handle to make the holes.

fullsizeoutput_31a1.jpeg

Ingredients
450 g flour
1 tbsp sugar
9 g salt
7g dried instant yeast
Warm water
Seeds (for toppings)

Method
Place the flour, salt and yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Gradually add warm water until all the flour is incorporated.
  1. Turn onto an oiled surface an knead until smooth. Place in a covered bowl to rise until doubled in size.
  2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil (some recipes suggest adding a tablespoon of sugar to the water).
  3. Form the dough into 8 equal sized balls. There are various ways to create the hole in the middle of the bagel, but this one is most fun: push a ball of dough onto a wooden spoon handle and spin the handle:
  4. Place the bagels in the boiling water and flip over after one minute. Cook for one further minute
  5. Drain each bagel (do not place on kitchen paper - they will stick). Hold a draining spoon over some kitchen paper then tip the bagel onto a baking sheet, lined with baking paper.
  6. Sprinkle with seeds of your choice.
  7. Bake for 20 - 25 mins @180 C until golden brown.
fullsizeoutput_31b8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31a5.jpeg

With home made cheese and smoked salmon:

fullsizeoutput_31bd.jpeg

Last edited:
Bring a large pan of water to the boil (some recipes suggest adding a tablespoon of sugar to the water).

I was just watching a guy in New Orleans on Food Network making these - he put some honey in the water. Guess it'd have the same result

And they looked divine served with lox.

I've never known how to stop the poppy seeds falling off - do the bagels have a sticky surface pre-bake?

I was just watching a guy in New Orleans on Food Network making these - he put some honey in the water. Guess it'd have the same result

And they looked divine served with lox.

I've never known how to stop the poppy seeds falling off - do the bagels have a sticky surface pre-bake?

Because the dough is wet from the simmering water, they stick. You can give them a friendly pat with your hand to help. Whether or not adding sugar or honey helps, I don't know.

I went on a bagel making kick years ago before DD left the nest. She and I liked the vegetable cream cheese spread, so, not only did I make that for us, but I also finely grated/chopped veges like carrots, red bells, garlic, onions and put them in the bagel dough. Craig likes them that way, but prefers lox or smoked salmon, plain cream cheese and green onion.

Wow, that recipe is much more complicated than the one I used. I am sure they are wonderful! I just used a shortcut recipe that doesn't call for the yeast. I am going to get the gumption to try your recipe at some point. Looks great!

Wow, that recipe is much more complicated than the one I used. I am sure they are wonderful! I just used a shortcut recipe that doesn't call for the yeast. I am going to get the gumption to try your recipe at some point. Looks great!

No yeast? I thought they had to have yeast.

They aren't difficult to make at all - its like making bread but instead of a second rise you simmer them in water before baking. Its the simmering which produces the traditional chewy texture.

Turns out you can use baking powder and Greek Yogurt. Yes, traditionally they need yeast, but it's a cheat recipe that takes far less time and it works great. I do them in the air fryer but I am sure you could just bake them.

Easy Air Fryer Everything Bagels - Simply Scratch

Edited to add that these aren't really chewy, they are much lighter, which can be kind of nice when you load the top with salmon, cream cheese, capers and onions.

Turns out you can use baking powder and Greek Yogurt. Yes, traditionally they need yeast, but it's a cheat recipe that takes far less time and it works great. I do them in the air fryer but I am sure you could just bake them.

Easy Air Fryer Everything Bagels - Simply Scratch

Edited to add that these aren't really chewy, they are much lighter, which can be kind of nice when you load the top with salmon, cream cheese, capers and onions.

So while I was on vacation I discovered that these can easily be baked in the oven (I didn't have an air fryer at the resort). We were gone for a month, and I can't do without bagels and salmon that long!

Back
Top Bottom