Recipe Baharat (Arabian spice mix)

Elawin

Guru
Local time
10:23 AM
Baharat is used in a lot of Middle Eastern soups and stews, and also as a rub for meat, chicken, and fish. There are a lot of variations depending on which brand you buy or which recipe you use, but this is my favourite.

Ingredients

1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tsps coriander seeds
1 cinnamon stick (about 2 inches long)
1 tsp whole cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom seeds
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Method

Leaving the paprika and nutmeg aside, place all the other ingredients in a small frying pan and dry-roast over a medium-high heat, tossing regularly to prevent scorching, for 3-4 minutes until very fragrant. Let it cool and transfer to a spice or coffee grinder. Add the paprika and nutmeg and grind all the ingredients to a fine powder. Store in an airtight jar.

Note

You can substitute 1 tsp cinnamon for the cinnamon stick, in which case add the cinnamon powder at the end together with the paprika and nutmeg

Recipe courtesy of the Daring Gourmet http://www.daringgourmet.com/baharat-middle-eastern-spice-blend-2/

@Elawin

Thank you !

Monday: I do not work on Mondays at the momento, so off to the La Mercat de La Boqueria for spices .. I do not have several of the North African or Asian ones as I rarely use these except for a specific récipe. We purchase them from oak barrels here .. Exciting dish ..

Shall give it a try when I am off from work ..

Have a nice weekend ..

Back
Top Bottom